Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping the last pump

Default Dropping the last pump

Hi,
    I am pump weaning and currently doing one pump a day at work. I had no problems going from 2x to 1x, or for that matter 3x to 2x several months ago. But I'm a bit nervous about how to drop the last pump without feeling uncomfortably full. Is it better to decrease the time pumping a bit at a time? I currently do 15 min, so should I try 10 for a while, then 5? Or is it better to push back the time I pump later and later, until eventually I just don't bother because I'll be nursing shortly after getting home?
    Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Dropping the last pump

I just went from 2 to 1 and did it by pushing later and later. I would think, and this is just my opinion, that stretching your storage capacity to later would be preferable to partially emptying your breast in case it sends the signal to stop making as much milk. But it could be the same either way!
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

i saw somewhere else on here the latter recommendation. good luck!

I shifted mine late, and then decreased for a week (I followed ounces pumped, rather than time). Since I have weaned I had a few "full" days but no problems with plugged ducts and the like.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Push the time later and later. It will be fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks everyone, I will push it later and later. Looking sooooo forward to being done with the pump....

how fast do y'all advise doing this? 10 mins later each day? an hour later each day? an hour later for a week, then another hour later for a week?

I did the later and later plan as well. For me, this worked better than partial pumping, because once I got a letdown, the milk would practically spray out to be released. The way I did it was to push the pumping as late as I could stand (I would feel full, but not to the point of being painfully engorged) every day. This pushed the time back pretty quickly. Having "full" breasts is what gives your body the signal to make less milk so you have to endure some sensation of fullness, but obviously shouldn't let it get to the point where you're engorged and likely to get clogged ducts. It's a delicate line to walk. But that should work pretty fast.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.