Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it gas? reflux? food intolerance????

Default Is it gas? reflux? food intolerance????

Hello everyone,
    My EBF baby girl is 8 weeks old and I'm really puzzled and worried because of her being so unsettled. (I have successfully breastfed my son for a year and a half - he is now almost 4, and he was a difficult baby having 100% nose obstruction due to adenoids, now removed, and cow's milk protein allergy - now gone too).
    We live in UK and at her 8 week check the GP seemed worried about her dropping from the 50th (on which she was born) to the 25th percentile, however in my opinion she seems to follow slowly the latter .Now she weighs 4.5 kg.
    My problem with her is that her feeds are very short - under 10 min - she seems to stop because she feels uncomfortable, and after she eats she is really unsettled, it is difficult for her to burp...if she tries to feed again after stopping she usually throws up everything and also throws up after comfort feeding (she rarely seeks for comfort at the breast ( ). I have to hold her upright a lot after eating, i manage like this to have throwing up episodes only once a day, or every two - three days but sometimes it happens three times a day. She has a lot of wet nappies, explosive poos - their color is sometimes very green and now changed from bright yellow to a dirty-brownish yellow. I could say her latch is not perfect as she seems to take only the tip of the nipple but if i try a 'deeper' latch she gags and throws up...she gags pretty easily.In her 3rd to 6th week she had very very bad 'colic' pain every evening/night...she is better now but still more unsettled in the evening.(My son had horrendous 'colic' up to 3 months but he had excellent weight gain...)
    So what could be wrong? What could I do to make her feel better? I thought i was Mrs.'know it all' after breasfeeding my son for longer-than-average......obviously, i'm not...so...HELP!
    Thank you...

Default Re: Is it gas? reflux? food intolerance?

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with your new little one. What you describe sounds very reflux-y to me, but it also sounds a bit like overactive letdown. Any signs of overabundant milk supply, mama? Things like:
    - frequent feelings of engorgement or fullness
    - lots of leaking
    - baby coughs, chokes, gags, splutters or clicks/clucks while nursing
    - able to pump multiple oz with ease, if pumping
    - if baby pulls off while nursing, milk sometimes sprays or streams from the breast
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok - thanks a lot, so we have these:

- frequent feelings of engorgement or fullness - NO

- lots of leaking - YES -i have to wear breastpads all the time

- baby coughs, chokes, gags, splutters or clicks/clucks while nursing -YES

- able to pump multiple oz with ease, if pumping - N/A

- if baby pulls off while nursing, milk sometimes sprays or streams from the breast - YES

So it could be overactive letdown - isn't it?
    If reflux - does it sound like i should seek medication?...in my mind was thinking(hoping) that maybe it would have settled by 3-4 mnts...
    Last edited by @llli*yoanna; March 1st, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

Yes, you could be seeing OALD or reflux or both. I would start by adopting more reclined nursing positions and see if that changes anything. I'd also consider seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for a consult. I'm reluctant to say "oh, this sounds like OALD" or "this sounds like reflux" because the things you're seeing could so easily be both. Spraying, leaking, clicking, choking, nipple-feeding, quick feedings, dislike of comfort nursing, lots of spit-up, explosive green poops- those are all good indicators of OALD and oversupply. However, babies whose moms have OS/OALD often gain weight really quickly, and the fact that your baby has been a bit slow out of the gate in that regard makes me hesitate. The best way to combat OS/OALD is to reduce supply by block feeding, but that's something you want to do only if you're sure there's a problem, since a mom with average supply can quickly reduce her supply to a level which is too low.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"