Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work need advice

Default Back to work need advice

Hi, Our start at breastfeeding was really challenging but things are going well now at 10 weeks, so I really wanna do my best not to mess this up!
    I'll be working once a week, starting in 2 weeks and I will be away for 5-6 hours.
    My MIL will be taking care of DS but she is clueless concerning feeding on hunger cues and has one of those schedulling mentalities. She is very gentle and caring with the babies but I have to say she irritates me a bit, cause she says things like "when are you going to start bottlefeeding", "but he just nursed, are you nursing again?", and "he's using you as a pacifier". But I'm sure she means well and don't wanna go into an argument, so I have to give her simple rules for when she ll be taking care of DS.

I was thinking I'd nurse around 12 pm, leave a 4 oz bottle for 3 pm and be back at 6 pm to nurse again. Is this ok? Is 4 oz enough or should I leave more? I'll be pumping 20 min at 3 pm, is it enough?

Also worried because he feeds on hunger cues, sometimes every 2h, sometimes hourly. But this would be too complicated for mil and feeding more frequently would lead to her overfeeding him, I'm sure! (since he guzzles down everything given in a bottle).

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by @llli*hermione; March 1st, 2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Back to work need advice

I would break that into 2 smaller bottles and leave enough milk for 1 to 1.5 oz per hour.

As far as the rest, they will fall into their own patterns, but I would remind her that he eats when he wants to, and sometimes that might mean he eats one ounce then another an hour later.And she needs to not get upset about it, force him to eat or deny him food if he is crying.

There is a handout around on paced bottle feeding that might be useful.

I work once a week, about those same hours, and it has worked out well, really.

Yes, pumping just once should be fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, thanks for your answer!
    Do you mean like 5-7.5 oz divided in 2 bottles?
    But if I spread the 2 bottles say 2 pm and 4 pm, won't he be too full when I get home an hour later or so? Just worried he won't nurse then... Maybe I worry too much. Sorry, little anxious about leaving him, even if it's once a week :P

I would leave 2-3oz bottles. Your MIL will probably feed more frequently than you may like. If you nurse right before leaving and upon returning, you may only need 5oz. Maybe have two 2oz bottles and another bottle with 1-2oz as backup.
    Also make sure your MIL knows not to discard unused milk-give it at the next feeding.
    And not to feed baby right before you return, even if baby is unhappy.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hermione View Post
    Maybe I worry too much. Sorry, little anxious about leaving him, even if it's once a week :P
    Not at all, it's completely natural! I was a basket case when I left my little girl the first time at 12 weeks...

I think I was at a 2.5 or 3 ounce bottle when Emily was 10 weeks old, has your little guy had a bottle at all yet? I always shifted up when it looked like she was expecting more from the bottle or was still quite fussy at the end. I don't know if you would want to have your MIL give a test bottle while you're nearby to gauge how much he needs...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    I don't know if you would want to have your MIL give a test bottle while you're nearby to gauge how much he needs...
    That's actually a very good idea!
    I haven't given him a bottle in the last 3 weeks, though he had them before when I was too sore to BF. And he just guzzled them down like he hadn't eaten in months. I'm pretty sure MIL is going to overfeed... Or at least try to!

I found that feeding my son with the Dr. Brown "premie" nipple was better than the regular 0-3 month flow nipples... the flow is much slower and it prevents the baby from guzzling the milk down. I personally don't like the Dr. Brown bottles, but the nipples are universal and fit my Ameda bottles. May want to give it a try... baby will take a little longer feeding from the bottle, but it won't overfeed
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas