Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what kind of baggies do you use

Default Re: what kind of baggies do you use

we froze in bottles for our baby, and it worked fine but beware that 1) it takes up a LOT of space, 2) the air in the top of the bottle means that milk gets freezerburned a LOT faster - we can really only keep bottles in our little freezer for up to a month.

I use the medela bags. I know they are pricey but the convenience of attaching the bag directly to the pump is great for me. If you are not cautious about making sure the ziplock seal is dry before sealing them, they will leak when they are thawed. I typically put them in a clean bowl to thaw them in so, just in case they leak, the bowl catches it and none is wasted.

What is the gift bag dispenser idea?

i thought i'd love the medela bags, but i ended up HATING them! taping them to the pump was just so precarious. i almost lost a couple bags, and decided that was as close a call as i wanted to have

i think the gift bag dispesner is you cut a hole along the bottom short edge of a gift bag, then you can lay your milk bags in flat on the top and remove the oldest from the bottom; helps you rotate your stock and maximize freezer space.

The medela bags I have came with an adapter that screws on where bottles would. The adapters have hooks on them and the bags come with holes on the top, above the seal, that hangs on the adapter. I don't have to use tape at all. They are also very quick to set up and take apart.

The gift bag idea is great! I have been using a long thin tupperware box and standing them in it but the gift bag sounds much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miguelsmamma View Post
    Question... Do you have to freeze in bags or can you freeze in bottles?
    You can freeze in bottles if you have space.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

For bags, when you pull them out of the freezer, do you send them to the dcp in the bag or do you let them thaw at home, and put the milk in the bottle and send the bottle?!

I think I will take the advice on here and look into getting bags because I don't want freezer burn... Didn't even think about that.

I wasn't thinking I wouldN't have much of a freezer stash, and I would just freeze what's left at the end of the week for the next week, but maybe I will pump enough for a stash... That would be nice.
    Last edited by @llli*miguelsmamma; March 5th, 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Mistyped
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

I thawed it and put it in bottles with my first two. (DH is home with DS2, so I figured he could take care of putting it in bottles himself.)
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

We used the Lastioh bags and never had a leak. I would stand the bags up in a large plasticware container w/o the top, then put the newest milk in the back to rotate through. In order to thaw the bags completely overnight I would place the bags in a bowl full of cold water in the fridge so I could pour it into bottles in the morning.

My DCP required me to have all his bottles pre-measured and ready to stick in the bottle warmer. I wouldn't trust them to pour my milk into a bottle anyway, it is way to precious of a thing to spill.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.