Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of baggies do you use

Default what kind of baggies do you use

To store your milk in? The bags that are intended to store bm are a bit pricey. Wondering if there is a less expensive alternative?

Default Re: what kind of baggies do you use

These

I used to double wrap them in Ziploc freezer bags and then store them in Ziploc rectangular bins in my freezer with the milk flat. Supposedly the Medela ones are better and don't leak, but they are very pricy.

I would not even consider using anything less. Pumping is HARD work.

If you are just keeping it in the fridge, you can just pump into bottles and keep them in that. There's no reason to put them in bags if you are dealing with fresh milk.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I find Honeysuckle bags to be the best out there by far. Amazon has them in bulk usually for a decent price
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Honeysuckle and I keep in large freezer bags. I was using 250 bags a month at this time last year, and I found those to be the best bags.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I pumped for the next day and only froze on weekends (and then used the oldest milk from the freezer for Monday). That way you aren't using huge amounts of bags. With this baby I did pump more than he ate at the time so I used more than I did with the first two. I used the Lanisoh bags. Bags designed for milk are presterilized, unlike regular baggies. Both Amazon and Walmart have good online deals.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I also use lansinoh bags. Only had 1 leak once, and that was after freezing and thawing. I buy on amazon with subscribe & save.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I would avoid the Gerber/NUK bags I had a ton of those leak on me!
    Last edited by @llli*browncow; March 1st, 2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14

i love the lansinoh bags, after having tried a whole bunch of others (except i haven't heard of honeysuckle before). by far the easiest to get the air bubbles out, and i like writing on a tab instead of on the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    i love the lansinoh bags, after having tried a whole bunch of others (except i haven't heard of honeysuckle before). by far the easiest to get the air bubbles out, and i like writing on a tab instead of on the milk.
    Me, too! Although I have had a couple of them leak on me very recently while thawing - only since I've been using the "gift bag dispenser" idea. Not sure if that's the reason, a crummy batch of bags, or something I did sealing them...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Honeysuckle and I keep in large freezer bags. I was using 250 bags a month at this time last year, and I found those to be the best bags.
    Good lord that's a lot of milk!
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Question... Do you have to freeze in bags or can you freeze in bottles?
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!