Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: will i ever get sleep? pumping @ 2am

Default will i ever get sleep? pumping @ 2am

I went back to work 3.5 weeks ago and so far so good as far as pumping at work. I get between 12-13oz while I'm there. But I usually feed DS around 7 before he goes to bed and then pump around 10 and again at 2am because he sleeps through the night. It is nice to have a little extra to put in the freezer but I would like to get some good sleep eventually. Just thought I'd see what you all think?

Default Re: will i ever get sleep? pumping @ 2am

If you are pumping enough at work for your DS, you don't need the night pump. You might try dropping the 2AM pump and see how it goes.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I am just afraid it will mess up my supply? I definitely don't have an over supply so I don't want to get behind. I am away from ds 10 hrs a day so I feel like I need the extra few ounces... not sure what to do...

Pump during the day on Saturday and Sunday. If you are pumping that much at work - you should be ok. You can also add a power pumping session to one of your work pumps. That can help.

I got up like that religiously at night at 3:30 am to pump for the first 6 or 7 or 8?? months of my daughter's life. And she wasn't STTN (still really isn't most nights). I ended up with so much extra milk that I had to donate it or I would have lost it. Sure that was great, but I really could have used more sleep.

Sleep if you can.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

If your baby is sleeping through the night than I would sleep through the night too!

Are you making enough during the day to keep up with the bottles you are sending? If so, then you don't need to pump at night, or to keep building a freezer stash.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Sleep is more important than a freezer stash. As long as you are pumping enough for your kiddo for the next day, there is no reason to get up in the middle of the night to pump. Personally, I think my pumping was better when I was better rested. If you end up not pumping enough, you can always add the pump back in.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I forgot to mention that my lo is only 3 months. He goes down for the night around 730-8 and wakes between 5-6am. I tried sleeping last night and got quite uncomfortable by 5am. I do pump between 10-11pm before I go to bed. I just don't want it to mess up my supply...thoughts?

If your son is sleeping through the night than your body will adjust milk production so you won't be engorged overnight. But it can take a few days. I went through the same thing and for about a week or 2 got up at 4am to pump. You can push the time you get up to pump back until you are getting up at the same time as your son. Your supply will adjust so you won't get engorged overnight/leak.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months