Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SO discouraged need encouragment

Default SO discouraged need encouragment

i posted earlier that my ds has been nursing less frequently. Well since then he started becoming more fussy than usual at the breast, unlatching frequently and showing signs of pain i believe its either reflux or some kind of pain in his mouth maybe thrush or a sore throat. Today has been a complete nightmare, getting him through a feeding at my breast has been simply impossible. Ive been feeding him with a syrange, a cup, and trying to tease him onto me with expressed milk. But he screams at the top of his lungs throughtout the whole feeding in hunger and pain. i caved and gave him a bottle, it was still difficult to get him to eat but atleast he did! hes maybe been able to nurse 3 times for a few minutes since 10am and its now 8pm. I dont know what to do, im dying here! i dont have a good pump because i never needed to pump to feed before. we had a problem like this before and i suspected reflux so i took him to the doctor and the doctor said i was over feeding him and that if he did infact have reflux that he wouldnt be given medicine until he lost weight. First thing in the morning im calling the pediatrician but i dont know what good it will do if he tells me we have to wait for him to drop weight to get him on medicine. Im so frustrated hes only 9 weeks i do not want to stop breast feeding!!! my biggest fear is that he does have reflux and wont be given medicine until he drops weight and by then my supply will be gone. HELP i need all the encouraging words u can give me. anything, please.

Default Re: SO discouraged need encouragment

Wow, nice pediatrician you have. "I'll only medicate the baby if he is starving. If he's simply in pain, well then tough noogies!" Can you see a different doc? I'd want someone to look in baby's ears, his throat, and his mouth just for starters- ear infection, a sore throat, or thrush could all be to blame here.

Has baby always been reluctant to go to the breast, or is this new? And how is nursing going aside from the extreme fussiness?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He was doing wonderfully for a few weeks but this is new, besides the pain i assume he has his latch is wonderful and had become a great nurser. Yes i will be seeing a different dr. but theyre in the office(military insurance so i dont have another option besides the 2 pediatricians on base) if he doesnt do something for him ill definitely lose my cool, im NOT a happy lady right now lol

hes eating better with cold milk... maybe its his throat?

I would for sure ask for a different pedi. Even two military doctors can be vastly different. And I agree that is horrible he won't treat him just for being in pain reflux hurts. My DS has it and I was reluctant to start because we are 'granola' and he wasn't loosing weight because of it. But after realizing it also meant he was in pain I decided to give him the meds and he is a different baby. He acts like the happy baby I knew he was.

Also you said you didn't have a choice about the insurance. I'm not sure how it works in all states or cities but I do know near by is an air force base and their insurance IS accepted at a local hospital. Most ppl didn't know this. I would check with the local major medical providers that have clinics. They will know if they take it or not. I wouldn't bother checking with the military provider they wouldn't know cuz they don't have to worry about getting paid. And it all about the $$ The co-pay may be more or something or it could have been because it was a state hospital. I'd check it out though if you don't like the new guy.

Another option if you feel really strongly that it is reflux (after they check him for thrush and the like) and they won't medicate him after you've demanded it, it might be worth checking into a same day/walk-in type clinic or paying cash for a pedi that isn't on the insurance. I know that can be hard on a budget but if you get him started the military docs might just keep him on it, esp if you can say you saw improvements. Just a thought.

Hope you LO starts to feel better soon.

I have no idea what this could be, but it certainly has nothing to do with your milk. Breastmilk is a soothing substance and nursing is a comforting activity. Yes reflux is painful but breasteeding does not cause reflux. If cold IS helping, that would appear to be a sign something else is going on and baby needs to be examined.

Have you tried to examine babies mouth/throat yourself for any sores, sweling, redness? How old is baby-could this be an extreme reaction to teething?

Can you see an IBCLC? Thrush could be a good guess, but if a baby is having pain they may be having symptoms too, white patches in the mouth that are red or bloody when gently scratched. A white tongue is usually not thrush if its just the tongue.

if nursing continues to be an issue, can you rent a hospital grade pump? These are best for when baby cannot nurse and rental fee for a month, say, should be much less than buying an expensive personal use pump.

Call your local LLL, Local health nurse or WIC, whatever you may have in your area, to find out about if there are any low cost Lactation services and pump options should money be an issue.

And I would keep trying to gently encourage baby to nurse. This article has good tips: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Thankyou for all of your helpful replies it warms my heart and makes me feel much better! Okay so for my replies... as far as insurance, I would be able to see an off base doctor only if I switched his insurance over to tricare standard, and there is a co pay for that.. which I will definitely be doing if I don't feel like the second doctor does any good. But with the insurance were on now, tricare prime, I am only able to see the mil pedis or the hospital on weekends and after 4pm. So until I could get his insurance switched over it will be out of pocket to see another doctor. What I'm doing now is lots of skin to skin and trying to latch as often as I feel he's content. But pumping and feeding with a breastflow bottle to ensure he's getting his nutrition. I feel like I'm slowly being defeated but tomorrow is a new day and ill get some rest for tonight! He's 9 weeks old and I don't believe he's teething, I've inspected his mouth and haven't found any spots, discoloration or blood, his temp is about 99, and he seems to be happy other than when were trying to get him to eat. I'm anxious for the dr. Tomorrow. I hope there's nothing wrong, but if they can't tell me anything at the dr. Ill be back at square one and clueless! And ill be visiting the wic office asap! I hope this ends soon I'm so heartbroken

This is almost exactly what my little one started doing at the 1st of the month. She had a sore throat.

Will he nurse at night or when he's groggy? That's what I was doing. I was so concerned that I began waking her up every two hours at night again like she was a newborn. Because I thought "okay, baby, if you'll only nurse in your sleep, I'll nurse you every two hours in your sleep!" Some folks told me that would mess up baby's nights and days, but I really felt like in my gut, it was the right thing to do.

And I was lax on pumping right away. I second the suggestion about getting a hospital grade rental pump. I rented a Medela Lactina for $1.50/day.

And I also second the suggestion of seeing an IBCLC.

Log diapers so you can monitor output. Just don't force him. I forced sometimes and it was just like 3 steps back, 1 step forward. My little one would latch sometimes if I tried walking down the hall, or in the bathroom with the water going, once even in the car in the garage. Hang in there!! Pump the missed feedings and be persistent with the pedi. What other things make you think it's reflux?

With me, she was in pain from the sore throat but then because I was panicked, I offered too much I think and made her kinda hate nursing for a little while. That article pp references is what I used too.

Try offering lying down. I even set up a black and white book on the little nightstand next to my glider because having something to look at would calm her enough to be still and latch. Also, because I was stressed out, my milk ejection reflex slowed. There are things you can do to help that too so that when baby will latch, he won't have to work really hard and get mad or be in more pain working for your milk.

Hang in there! Pump missed feedings, try to relax, take care of yourself!!

I would keep trying. Meanwhile, pump 8-12 times a day with a hospital grade pump for a total of 120 minutes in 24 hours to protect your supply if he won't nurse. Make sure one session is between midnight and 5 AM.

I wonder if he has an ear infection. My third baby would fuss...he had nonstop infections that made nursing painful sometimes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thankyou! I am so thankful for all of ur replies ur keeping me going. Yes he will nurse while sleepy. I am so happy I read that article from kellymom! I was trying to force him, I feel bad now poor thing! I hope I didn't cause an aversion. I have a strong feeling its a sore throat now, I'm not thinking its acid reflux as much anymore. Probebly from all the crying he was doing when I was forcing my breast on him idk why I didn't read that kellymom article sooner!!