Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Firm Poop like Play-dough

Default Firm Poop like Play-dough

Ok, I started giving Aaron solids about 3 weeks ago. His poops are really different than I would have imagined. You know how let's say an adult pooped in a diaper right now (sorry, gross) I'd imagine the poop would kind of squish against your butt in the diaper and be a bit moist. Kind of like if you accidentally step on a dog's poop in the park when it is fresh and it smashes onto your shoe. (still gross, sorry!) Well, Aaron's poops aren't like that. They're not peanut butter consistency and they're not like adult poop. They're firm, like it just peels away from his butt and is in the form of a ball when I take his diaper off. If I wanted to (which I don't!!) I could roll it up and play with it like play dough. Is this normal for newly solid fed babies? Does this mean he's not getting enough fluids? He's been eating a lot of solid food, and he still drinks a lot of breast milk and a tiny bit of water, too. I just didn't picture this, I pictured more like peanut butter poop.

Default Re: Firm Poop like Play-dough

If he's not struggling to go, I wouldn't think it's bad. Mia's are like peanut butter and I think we started solids about the same time, but she isn't very interested yet and maybe only eats about a tablespoon equivilent or so. And she doesn't always get a solid. So I would think, from what I've read about poo, which is more than I ever thought I would, that as long as he's not really struggling and the balls are not hard and dry, it's fine.

AJ's first poop post solids was the exact same!!!! I made the mistake of giving AJ "banana applesauce mush" starting out. ( He loved it by the way) Banana's, apples, and rice are all bulk forming agents and clogged my little guy up. Poor thing, he would grunt so hard and then just whimper, it broke my heart. I ended up giving him prunes to make him go and when he finally did, he was a happy baby. We give babies a "BRAT" diet in the hospitals to form up loose stool and since I'm not a ped nurse i didn't even think about it. Banana's, rice, apple's and tost. I started giving him pears and squash and cut out the rice and banana's for a while until his digestive tract got used to digesting this new stuff and his poo's have been fine since then. You can give him those things, just make sure you alternate them with things that will make them go. That web-site I gave you tells you some foods that will aid in that process. HTH!!!

My dd is the same way. Once she started getting solids regularly her poos became "adult - like." My pedi says a 6 month old baby now has the digestive system of a teenager, so I would assume the poos would be the same way! haha!

I would worry unless he cries or has a lot of trouble pooing. I think it is just baby maturing.

This is my baby, except she is having a REALLY HARD TIME with them. She literally screeches, her face turns red and she starts to cry. I watched her go on the changing table and her poor little opening would stretch out and she would start to scream while attempting to pass her bowel movement. Last night I had to "help" her by massaging her bottom cheeks to help it come out. I have stopped solids except prunes and she is still having this problem. At first I thought she was constipated but she goes every day, just this painful play dough. I'm at a loss. . .