Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby only likes to nurse lying down!!

Default Baby only likes to nurse lying down!!

Hello!

My 9 week old only likes to nurse lying down!! I have oversupply/overactive letdown and have been nursing her lying down for the past 6 weeks to help with the situation. She now only prefers this position! I have tried nursing her in other positions such as cradle, laid back, etc..but she fusses and does not eat well. She only eats well lying down. This has become an issue when I am trying to nurse her in public. I am not sure what to do and its becoming frustrating! I am a stay at home mom so I am able to accommodate her preference most of the time but I feel trapped at home as she doesn't nurse well in public. Will this eventually go away or how should I help her get comfortable with other nursing positions?

Thank you!

Default Re: Baby only likes to nurse lying down!

Just keep trying other positions, and don't worry too much because everything will change in time. By the time your LO is a toddler, she's going to be trying all sorts of antics at the breast, turning upside-down, sticking toes in your face, latching on while standing...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I agree w/mommal. As long as nursing frequency is overall good, there is no reason to worry if baby does not nurse very well right now when you are out and about. Just keep practicing and getting out there, you will both get used to NIP in time. That feeling of being trapped is not good! It is really important for moms happiness and thus breastfeeding duration to be able to NIP so keep working on it.

When I first nursed in public I was still using a nipple sheild, which is realy hard to do discretely, and my baby frequently popped off and on as he had lots of latch issues early on. Ugh. I hated NIP at first but I hated being stuck at home more! It was tough at first but all I can say is to keep trying and it gets better.

Also, I wonder what it is about the sidelying baby prefers? Is she letting milk dribble out her mouth? Hmmm. I am just thinking if there is a way to almost do a modified sidelying in some places. Sort of a side leaning? Sounds horribly uncomfortable but maybe just to ease baby into a more upright position? Just a thought.

OMG, my son did this from 2-10 months! It was so difficult, I spent the entire summer finding parks and places I could lay down with him to nurse when we were out. Now he's 13 months and will nurse any time, anywhere! And is much less distractible too
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks ladies! I will keep trying other positions. She usually latches on in the cradle position then will nurse for a few minutes then pull off. I can't get her back on after she pulls off and if I keep trying she gets really mad. I'm just worried she doesn't get enough to eat when we are out and about. I usually offer to nurse a few times when we are out and sometimes she refuses. When we get home she will nurse perfectly lying down. So weird!!!