Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grunting/Straining during BF

Default Grunting/Straining during BF

My LO is 6.5 months old and EBF. We have been playing around with BLW for about 3 weeks now and he eats a little (judging from his nappy) but mostly it's play. He may or may not be getting his first tooth, as he's been chewing on things a bit more the past few days. He was having poopy nappies 2-3 times a day but recently it's been 1-2. He's also started complaining/grunting/straining when we start to nurse, as if he's trying to poop (but doesn't). I try putting him upright in case it's air but he just wants to start nursing again (and then does the complain/grunt/strain again). Eventually he stops doing it and just nurses. It's been hot and he's been a bit more tired because of that, but other than the weather and introducing some food, everything's about the same.

Any ideas what's going on? TIA.

Default Re: Grunting/Straining during BF

What solids have you been offering, and what is poop consistency like when baby does go? It's normal for poop consistency to change when solids come into the picture, and sometimes a baby takes a while to adjust to the new sensations. However, sometimes constipation crops up at this point, and it's more likely to be a problem if the solids baby is eating are the ones that stop people up- cheese, rice, bananas, apples, bread.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Grunting/Straining during BF

I've been offering an array of solids - so far the things that he seems to have actually eaten a bit of include broccoli, lentils, sweet potato, pumpkin, steamed apple, cauliflower, yogurt, and some spiral pasta with tomato sauce. The output still looks like EBF poop but with some food traces in it. His system is definitely working a bit differently (big poop at 3 am this morning, very unusual) so we may back off the solids for a few days and see if things improve. Should I offer more things like pumpkin? I would offer pear but they're not in season here and are hard as a rock in the store. LO was up and down all night (as opposed to the usual every 2-3 hours) so something is going on. Still cheerful, though!