Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk blisters and hard niPples

Default Milk blisters and hard niPples

I seem to have constant milk blisters in my left breast and my left nipple is always hard. As you can imagine the pain from the blister is bad and the hard nipple is Soo uncomfortable. Why does this keep happening ? Any suggestions ? What about the hard nipple ? What can I do. My breast is tender all the time and the initial latch is very painful but gets better with nursing? Any help?thx in advance for taking the time to answer.

Default Re: Milk blisters and hard niPples

I've never dealt with milk blisters so I'm no help there sorry. Have you tried warm compresses for the hard nipple? That's abouth the only thing I can think of. And maybe using a wool breast pad or something to keep it warm if the heat helps. Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions about the milk blister.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I find I get blisters when I'm sloppy with the latch. For instance, when I let baby latch on to the top breast when I'm laying down. That gives me a blister. And yes, they hurt. I have one that has come and gone since 2005.
    So...work on your latch if you have to, see an IBCLC.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi!
    It sounds like maybe your little one is latching shallow, if it is worse at the beginning but gets better maybe it is because your nipple is drawn back a little better. I have one side I am prone to milk blister and that side is often harder too, again latch makes a diffrence. Along with watching your latch you may find it helps to try a different position so that the friction and pressure is taken off the blister. Alot of women find warm moist heat to be soothing and healing!
    Hope it is on the mend!

Danna

Hi,

I get the exact same thing on my right nipple. I agree with PPs that most of the time it is due to latch...or shallow latch. I get a blister every time my DS is teething...never fails. Warm compresses help...but what has REALLY helped me heal SO MUCH QUICKER now is constantly applying coconut oil(raw/unrefined) on the nipple & wearing a breast pad. I actually have a blister right now..this one is pretty painful!
    HTH
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE

Omg ladies so helpful! So I'll change positions and use warm moist heat. No the coconut oil- we use some for cooking- the same thing? I've also been using grapefruit seed extract oil but not sure how it helps or if it does. Thx!!

Not sure if it's the same. I bought it in a health food store (similar to whole foods) in the skin/hair section.

I think I remember reading that grapefruit seed extract oil helps also.

HTH
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE