Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oops & OUCH

Exclamation Oops & OUCH

I just woke up in pain...I had fallen asleep with my LO nursing on one side and pumping on the other. My LO ate what she needed and fell asleep - no problems. Problem is - I fell asleep with the pump on and I was wearing a hands free pump bra so it kept pumping after I went to sleep. All total I pumped for almost 4 hours straight. Now my nipples are killing me. They are swollen, red and white in color and throbbing. Any suggestions on what to do to help? I'm about to take Tylenol for the pain.

Default Re: Oops & OUCH

Ouch indeed! I'm so sorry to hear this, and I can certainly see how easily it could happen to a tired new momma using a hands free pumping arrangement.

Are both nipples equally sore/damaged? I briefly skimmed your other posts and saw a mention of nighttime latching problems -- is that the cause of the pain on the side that your LO was nursing on?

Ice is good for swollen/bruised tissue; try a cold compress or an ice pack wrapped in cloth -- apply for 15-20 minutes, then off for the next 15 minutes or so, and repeat.

You should discuss with your health care provider the best medication for your pain. Ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory, but your doctor should be consulted about whether this is a good choice for you or not.

Is there any broken or raw skin?

I also wonder if 4 hours of continuous pumping on one breast will result in a huge boost in milk production on that side. Watch for signs of engorgement or overactive letdown and keep us posted, okay?

Your nipples will heal, so hang in there. Remember that you need to continue either nursing or pumping to protect your milk supply and avoid engorgement, clogged ducts, mastitis, etc. Let us know how you are doing.

Red face Re: Oops & OUCH

I did ice them on and off after I woke up in pain. I went out and bought some cool gel packs and have them on now. The side my LO was nursing on is fine because she fell asleep and stopped nursing on her own. The side I was pumping is raw. I went to my doc and they gave me something topical sooth the pain and said not to nurse on that side for a few days (and wash away the meds before nursing so I do not numb my LO's mouth). My doc rec commended hand expressing only for the next few days on that side. She said I should even avoid a hand pump but just milk myself like they milk cows on small farms - hands only style. She also advises me to oil my breast with warm olive oil before hand milking to help avoid chafing and help with let down. She said to avoid anything touching the area so I bought some breast shells that keep my shirt from touching but have vent holes so it does not get damp and stuffy in there. Finally, she said to avoid falling asleep holding my LO and pumping!! I have Narcolepsy and the sound of the pump makes me fall asleep easily. I can not take any meds (I took Ritalin before I got pregnant) because they will be passed on to my LO. This was the first episode I had with my LO around. I guess I will just have to be careful and try harder to not fall asleep!

It sounds like your doctor gave you excellent advice to speed healing while you maintain your milk supply in the injured breast. I'm glad you were able to get in to see her right away today.

Manual expression, like pumping or for that matter nursing, is a learned skill that may take some practice. Here are some links that explain how to express milk by hand. The first link is from LLL's magazine _New Beginnings_ (which members receive in the mail):

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

This second link is on a non-LLL website and gives a more thorough explanation of the technique, with pictures:

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Have you discussed the issue of your narcolepsy and medications with an IBCLC? Has your doctor checked _Medications and Mothers' Milk_ by Thomas Hale to assess the potential risks and benefits of resuming meds versus letting your condition go untreated?

One "safeguard" you might consider if you do resume pumping is to not use the hands-free bra. Then if you fall asleep, the pump might keep going, but it probably wouldn't be in contact with your breast.

Smile Re: Oops & OUCH

Same thing happened to me. I had not asked a IBCLC about Narclopesy yet but I have talked to my doc and my LO's doc. Methylphenidate - aka Ritalin (and other meds that work for it) are Cat C drugs and unsafe. It is not known whether methylphenidate is excreted in breast milk. My condition is not too severe and luckily I can usually tell before I fall asleep. I am permitted to drive but I avoid it if at all possible and I am very cautious if I do drive.

I think long my pumping session did something odd to my milk production but I am not sure. I seem to be "filling up" quicker than normal and becoming engorged a bit. I posted an "Empty breast - how can I tell?" question on the "Getting Started with Breastfeeding " page so as you can see I may be wrong since I can't tell when or if I am emptying out all the way.

I had to express some before feeding or I spray and soak my LO with BM. Also, the breast that was pumped for several hours now responds to any sound my LO makes with drip, drip, drip! and the other does not!
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; November 12th, 2006 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

For me it was 150mL in ~ 3 hours
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; November 12th, 2006 at 03:19 AM. Reason: clarity
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thumbs up Re: Oops & OUCH

Thanks for your support and ideas! I iced the left side that I pumped for so long on and went in to my OB the next morning. She said I did not do any serious damage or anything like that but I should avoid doing that again (clearly) . She said to hand express the left and only nurse on the right for a few days to help the overly pumped nipple heal. So, I have been hand expressing on the left using Laniosh (sp?) and it is starting to feel a little better. It still hurts to have anything touch it but I found Gel pad soothes helps. As for milk production, I would have expected to pump a gallon in 4 hours but I only got about 6 ounces. I have not really had any over production as a result but I did get a clogged duct that I had to work on to relieve (it is fine now). I expect to be nursing on that side again in a few days (I hope).

I highly recommend not pumping for 4 hours!