Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice and suggestions please for incre!

Default Re: Advice and suggestions please for in

I'm sorry it's so tough, I'm really glad your husband is supportive. Mine is too and it really helped. It's not too late to turn things round and I definitely agree with keep nursing and pumping to get your supply up. Hang in there, I am so glad she loves nursing! That can be a huge motivator. I remember clearly the first time I felt like my little girl was comforted by nursing and it really motivated me to keep going when it was so tough.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I'm so discouraged. We did a pre and post feed weigh today and found out she got 20 ml. I know its only been a few days of the increased pumping, but I have seen so many physical changes that I really thought she would have gotten at least an ounce, if not the nearly two ounces that she was getting a few weeks ago. I'm going to keep going of course and see what she takes in next week, but right now I am beyond discouraged by this situation. I just don't understand why things got worse, and why I can't make them any better.

I have an IRL mama I've been working with. This is her third baby, and she has diagnosed IGT. She was watching the pump frantically, she weighed the baby obsessively (she has my scale, actually). She was so discouraged that she decided to just comfort nurse and do bottles of formula. But turns out that once she stopped flipping out, her baby is doing way better than she thought, and she now is only supplementing 2 bottles a day.

Has anyone evaluated your baby for a tongue tie or other issue that could interfere with milk transfer?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, she had her frenulum clipped. Her latch and suck seem to be good from everyone who has seen her. I've actually felt really positive these last days because I really felt like things were working, but maybe I've just been stressing too much. I don't know... I've been stressed by the state of the house, and I've been trying to just let that go. And I've been a little sad evry time I have to put the baby down to pump. But none of these have seemed like major stressors. I'm just going to keep going and do another pre and post feed weigh next Monday. At the end of the day the baby is healthy and happy and thats all that matters. But when I get these awful weights I just feel so sad and self pitying; I know if I hadn't had all the birth complications we wouldn't be in this situation...

Mama, please don't beat yourself up about things that were beyond your control! There are mamas who birth via c-section who never have any problems, and mamas who have the perfect home birth and still see nursing go down the toilet. You are doing an amazing job and we know the emotional toll this sort of experience can take on a person. The fact that you haven't thrown up your hands and said "I quit!" means that you have a deep reserve of strength that is going to serve you well throughout your career as a mom, no matter what curveballs life throws you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, I'm just so sad about it right now. Its not the c-section that I think did this, its the almost total blood loss that followed. According to everyone that is the biggest factor in the problems I'm having. I should just be glad I made it through all of that and that I have a healthy baby. Its just a tough day today, tomorrow will be better. No more scales for a week for me!

If I don't see any changes by next week should I keep going with all the pumping? How long before I should see any result, or accept that this isn't working?

It can take 2 weeks or so to build a supply witha pump. Really. So don't give up just yet. I know how annoying it is, and I know exactly what you mean about putting the baby down to pump That still weighs on me about my fourth's early days.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

- mommal, why is a "squished" nipple ater nursing bad? does this mean a bad latch? There are some great tips I plan on trying as well.