Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice and suggestions please for incre!

Default Re: Advice and suggestions please for in

Watch for early hunger cues and latch her on. If she seems hungry after one side, switch. Switch back, switch back again. Keep an eye on poops and wets.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

It can be done. And you can do it too. This place is full of moms who had supply problems, got sucked into supplementing and managed to come back from the brink
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! I'm going to definitely get to at least seven feedings per day by next week and double the number of times I pump. I'll also get more water in and cosleep/breastfeed in the afternoons.

I felt like maybe it was too late to turn this around but I guess its not. I'm very excited to see how things change over the next few weeks! Thank you to everyone for their advice and encouragement!

i know this may be hard, but maybe you could cut out a bottle every few days to a week until you are EBF.... formula really
    does fill them up a lot longer than breastmilk. i know that it is hard to hear screaming or crying and you are still recovering
    from the trauma after delivery. i supplemented with my first child and by 10 wks my milk had basically dried up, so i had to
    put him on only formula... just remember drink lots of water and keep trying, it really is a rewarding experience and so good
    for baby. best of luck!

audrey SAHM to 3: ds 1-03, bf 10 wks/ff dd 8-07,bf 4.5 months/ff dd 6-11 bf 8 months and going strong!

I'm trying to cut down to no more than 2 oz of formula per supplement. I never offer the bottle unless she's hungry. I just couldn't not give it to her and let her cry out her hunger.

I had a lactation appointment today where one intern told me that things weren't going to get better if they weren't already and the LC kept saying that increasing the frequency isn't important. All thats important is draining the breast thoroughly after each feeding. Yet everyone, everywhere else says that increasing frequency is just as important as thoroughly draining. Am I crazy, or is it really the frequency thats the biggest key, not just the thorough draining?

Also, I got in 7 feeding sessions yesterday. Thanks for your support ladies!

Frequency and emptying the breast are the 2 keys to making more milk. It's craziness to say that it doesn't matter how often you pump! My LCs would give you completely different information. They'd say that you want to shoot for maximum milk removal and maximum pumping/nursing frequency, and that it's NEVER too late to see an increase in supply.

ETA: how about cutting the supplement to 1.5 oz, and then offering the breast after baby finishes the supplement? If she's hungry, she'll be able to get that additional 1/2 oz from you, and if she's not, the comfort nursing is still a good thing for in easing supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Both are important, especially in the early weeks when you are making prolactin receptors, which you need later to ensure you can keep up with baby's needs.

There is a mama here who stopped nursing completely, could only pump 4 oz in 24 hours and went on to be able to pump her child's entire needs when she decided to relactate. You can do this, and it's even easier since you have a baby who will nurse (hers would not).

I would start every feeding with the breast, give supplement and then end at the breast too.

And I would think about giving the supplement in an SNS, no bottles.

I had to EP by necessity, as my fourth child was born with a cleft lip and palate. If you want to pump more, try these:
    Go to Walmart and buy a Leachco pillow. It has a seatbelt to hold baby on it. When he was awake and happy, I seatbelted him in and pumped, while he looked around. I have the advantage of older kids, who would sing and dance for baby
    Hands free bra
    Do compressions
    Take fenugreek
    If baby is sleeping during the evening, have hubby hold baby and you power pump for an hour. Hook the pump up, pump for 10 minutes, shut it off for 10, and repeat for an hour.

And for the nursing, again, keep switching sides. If you can, go to bed and nurse as much as possible for 3 days. That is your job. It will do wonders for your supply...and then you can tell those folks who are making you doubt yourself that they were wrong.

I was told I would never be able to nurse my first child, but I did...for almost 2 years!

Is your LC an IBCLC? If not, see about getting one. And not all IBCLCs are good, unfortunately. Because what you are being told is not true.

ETA: stop watching the clock, stop worrying about how long this all takes. This is how it is with a newborn. They eat all the time. Some sleep. Some don't (3/4 of mine were not sleepers). Learn how to nurse laying down. Watch wets and poops and don't obsess over the weight.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Things certainly can get better so please do not give up! And I agree not all IBCLCs are good, or give the best advice, although some certainly do. Power pumping helped me, like Susan mentioned in the previous post, and also eating brown rice helped my supply. It's OK if you're spending most of your time nursing and pumping, and if you need to delegate household chores to your husband or any one else nearby who can lend a hand. How are you doing?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

You sound like you are doing a lot of good things. PP's all are giving great advice. I am just here to cheer you on and remind you that:

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!

Remember that even though this may now be easy right now and may seem like a lot of work you can do it. Don't give up quite yet. I would also suggest that when you are in a moment that you feel like it can't get any worse and you can't do this, try to tell yourself "This to shall pass"

The first 2 months of my sons life are like a blur, there were many many moments that I wanted to throw in the towel and just give him a bottle. I am so glad that I didn't, the best part of my day is nursing!
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

So, based on everything I am going to pump after feeding for 10 min, pump in between feedings for 20 min, get one power pumping session in per night (probably when she goes down around midnight), and up our nursing time. I'll also be working on spending a few days in bed just nursing.

I just can't do another tube based feeding system. She LOVES nursing and we haven't had any nipple confusion yet with the bottle. I'll keep the idea in mind, but I just hated it so much when we were doing it.

I have a hands free bra so I can pump and hold her; usually I pump while giving her a bottle, then we nurse again, then I pump an hour later, then we nurse two hours later. At least, thats the schedule I'm working toward.

I've stopped weighing her before and after feedings. I'll wait a week or so before we do another pre and post feed weigh so that I can see if any of this is working.

I'm glad to hear all this other advice. I really thought it was odd not to try to increase the frequency. She is gaining weight on track, so I think thats why the LC (who is IBCLC) didn't suggest upping the feedings, but still. I'm hoping that with more nursing and much more pumping and everything else I'll get a better supply soon.

Thanks for all the words of support. I go between feeling really optimistic with this new plan to feeling entirely hopeless and defeated. I'm trying to stay positive, but it can be tough. My husband is amazingly supportive which helps and he's finally gotten used to my crying about this I regret not pumping more sooner, and hope that it really isn't too late to turn things around.

Oh, I'm also having my thyroid checked just in case.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I cam totally understand not wanting to use an at-the-breast supplementer- they can be very frustrating! But if you have one, don't chuck it in the trash just yet, okay? There may come a day when you're in the mood to try it again.

I can also totally relate to the feelings of hopelessness and defeat. I also spent a lot of time crying on my DH's shoulder! But I think you should feel really optimistic as you move forward. Yes, you got bad advice that convinced you to keep your pumping frequency at the low end, but you still have milk, your baby will nurse, you're not combating nipple confusion, and you have determination to continue- all things which put you way ahead in the game! You can definitely improve things. It is never too late!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"