Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ameda purely yours tips?

Thumbs down ameda purely yours tips?

After using the medela symphony for 5 months we finally had to give it back & buy one. I chose the ameda purely yours & although I've only used it for 3 days I have to say I'm not a fan. 1) way louder & stupid beeping is annoying enough to prevent letdown 2)letdown can be a craps shoot it seems. I use it approx 5x/day when @ work & almost half of those times it took almost 20 min to get an initial letdown & then takes another 20_30 min to drain the milk. Once it gets going, though, I get more letdowns in a shorter amount of time than the medela. 3)the 'horns' aren't like the medela at all & because of that all the bras I retrofitted to be handsfree are useless. I am able to use a nursing bra to hold on bottom & top of shields but is precarious & if I massage while pumping this doesn't work. Anyone else using the ameda purely yours have any tips?

Default Re: ameda purely yours tips?

I have the Purely Yours, and I've been using it for 8 months now. I have the horns that come with it (the 25mm size), but the 27" Medela horns work better for me. They will fit into the PY horns. So, if you need a different size horn, that's one thing to try.

As far as the hands-free bras not working, I'm not sure why this would be the case. I've used both the Symphony and the PY, and I've used hands-free bras with both. I've used the Medela hands-free bra, one I made from an old sports bra, and now I have a Simple Wishes bra, which I absolutely love and would highly recommend, if you want to continue pumping, and you have the money. If you are using a handsfree bra that you made from an old sports bra, you just have to put the horns in differently: put the bra on, and then stretch the holes in the front to go around the largest part of the horn. Then adjust as needed. So it's kind of the opposite of the Medela, where you put the horns on and then put the skinny part through the opening of your bra. But seriously, if you can get the Simple Wishes bra, do it. I got mine at my Target store, but I know Amazon has them, as well as various other online retailers. Compressions are a must for me when pumping, so I have to have a handsfree bra.

As for getting a let-down: have you tried playing with the cycles and suction settings? I have to have the cycles turned up all the way, and the suction turned up about 1/4 of the way, to get a good let-down. More importantly for me, I have to hand express a little first, just enough to start to get milk, before I can use the pump to get a let-down. When I do both those steps, I can get a letdown within 2 minutes. If I don't, I could pump for 20-30 minutes and get nothing. So, you can try that, too. Otherwise, all the stand-by tricks: having a picture of your baby, having something that smells like your baby, playing relaxing music, have helped as well.

For keeping the milk flowing, you can also play with the suction levels and cycles. I usually have the suction turned up 2/3 of the way, and I have the cycles turned up maybe 1/10 to 1/8, depending. Then, when the milk stops flowing, I pump for another 5 minutes or so, and then hand express to really empty.

The noise and beeping don't bother me that much, but I think I've pretty much learned to tune it out. You may too, after a while.

You may just need some time to get used to the pump and play around with it. But I think you can make it work. You just have to try some things to find what settings work for you. Good luck!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

Thanks for the tips. I made my own handsfree bras by sewing slits in the cheapo bras I bought during pregnancy. They don't stretch so can't put them in backwards. I have noticed today I have to do some hand expression for a minute or two to get a good letdown. Was just used to a little quick massage with the medela. Because I had to switch to the 30mm shields with the medela I went ahead & got the 30.5mm for the apy. The inserts for the 28mm annoy me to no end. Today I put the pump in the bag & zipped so I couldn't hear the beeping. I'm sure it'll become background noise soon.

can i piggy-back on this question? i have an ameda purely yours which i used 1-2 times a day from 1 month til 6 months, when it kinda died, and the company sent me a new one which i've used for 3 months about 4 times a day. the replacement's never been as good - the suction does not increase smoothly, but rather has 2-3 big bumps - but it's been good enough, seems to be getting worse lately. now, occasionally, i hear a tiny "whoosh" sound from somewhere near the horns, like there's an air leak - but it's intermittent, and i can't get my ear close enough to hear exactly where it's coming from. anyone have any ideas? I've read before that a pump's life is one year or 100 hours - and when i actually calculated that out, i've probably used it more than 100 hours already in 3 months (30 mins per pump * 4 pumps per day * 90 days = 180 hours).

Hmmm, my APY doesn't beep... I don't think... of course now I'm going to listen for it! I bought a knit sports bra at the dollar store and cut a slit in each cup, I slide the horn in and it works pretty well as hands free. I've been thinking about bringing in a strip of ribbon or something to put around my neck and tie to each horn to take some of the weight of the bottles off my bbs. I get a great let down with the APY, I usually start on pretty rapid cycles and ramp up the suction, then back the cycle speed down to very slow once the milk starts coming out (to me, the slow speed feels very similar to when he is nursing). I find that looking at pics of my LO on my phone really works wonders. I took a few of him nursing but pics from when he was really little are most effective. It's like a little retrospective love fest and I always look forward to it.

Re the whoosh sound, sometimes if the tube cap on the horn needs to be snapped on a bit more tightly, or if the diaphragm is still a bit wet from being washed, then I hear an air leak sound. If I fiddle with the cap to press it down more firmly, it usually goes away.

There is always a learning curve with a new pump. Each one works differently and every woman responds just a little differently to each pump.

I also love the Simple Wishes bra. I own two, actually, because they are so helpful.

Mess with your settings. Once I found the right settings, that pump setup was much more effective than the Symphony too for me; my main issue was I had used the pump already a lot with one of my babies (I pumped for another mom) and the action isn't as smooth, so I was sore.

For the mom saying her replacement PY isn't good...call the company. And the lifespan is actually 400 hours, as most pumps of this caliber are meant for a year of pumping at work. Double check your connections first.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks!