Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Six-ish hour stretch without pumping

Question Six-ish hour stretch without pumping

I work VERY part time. I will start doing a 6 hour shift on Saturdays. That will be my longest shift.

If I feed or pump before leaving and pump even on my way home will that be OK for my supply? He is 3 months old and does NOT STTN so we don't do any long overnight stretches. So this would only be one day a week that I go a longer stretch.

I don't mind pumping I just really don't like the idea of bailing on a coworker for a length of time to do so. It really isn't fair. All I have is a hand pump so it would take awhile to actually express the milk so my time away could potentially be awhile. I understand I may be somewhat engorged.

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Six-ish hour stretch without pumping

If I were you, I would pump once during the shift. The general rule of thumb is that you should pump anytime the baby is going to take a bottle. At 3 months, he is probably going to eat once or twice in that 6 hours, right? You might be okay with doing a before work pump and an after work pump, but ideally I think you should do one in the middle of the shift [too].
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Hard to say whether that would be okay or not. 6 hours is a long stretch, and if you were doing it every day I would say that you would certainly need to pump at least once, and maybe twice since all you have is a manual pump. But if you're doing just 1 six hour stretch a week... Honestly, because your baby is still so little I would still pump. Get your co-worker a bouquet of flowers or a box of doughnuts and a thank-you note every once in a while, and don't feel guilty about doing what it takes to provide your baby with the best.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would pump. I work like that, just 1 shift a week, about 6 hours, and I still pumped.

The hand pump will be fine I did it that way for 5 years, and actually, it was in some ways better than the electric, but you can only pump 1 side at a time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would pump during that shift, partly to keep YOU comfortable, at least for now. You may find in a few months that you can go without for that stretch and make up for it later, but I probably wouldn't try it as early as three months (after you introduce solids, it may be no problem). The hand pump would probably be fine for such occasional pumping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.