Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing to return to work

Default Preparing to return to work

I will be returning to work at the end of March. My LO is 6 weeks old now and will be almost 11 weeks when I return to work. I have started pumping once or twice a day and normally get 1-2 oz from one breast and 4-5 from the other which worries me but I understand baby is the best pump. I have been freezing bags at 4-5 oz. I am worried that once she is on the bottle for 12 hrs 3 days a week she wont want the breast due to the bottle being easier. Any suggestions for bottles? Also how much should she be taking at each feeding? Is the 4-5 oz going to be too much? Should I scale them down or let her take what she wants and save the rest for the next feeding. Thanks in advance for any advice

Default Re: Preparing to return to work

I will tell you about my experience. First, my daughter still prefers mommy to the bottle any day (including after my 12 hr shifts). But I think a lot of this has to do with how we bottle feed her. For the bottle, always use a slow flow nipple and feed sitting up. It takes them longer to eat which is good so they don't get used to faster flows from bottles and get their sucking need met.

The amount to give in a bottle is trial and error. Some people do 5 2-oz bottles or 2 5-oz bottles. We do 4 3.5-oz bottles with me feeding right before I leave and right when I get home. Personally, I would freeze no larger than 4 oz in one bag to prevent wasting and overfeeding (you might not be able to keep up with it and then you will be stressed as you are not pumping as much your little one eats). You can trial a feeding at home to start practice with the bottle and figure out the amount of milk. See if your baby is cranky afterwards or spits up a lot (my daughter does this when she is overfed). Can your baby make it a normal amount of time till the next feeding or do they need to be fed sooner? Everyone has their own system and my advice would be to just play around before you go back to work. Once you figure out the amount, you will then know how much to freeze in each bag. And yes, I would refrigerate and give left over milk at the next feeding.

Hopefully my ramblings made sense.
    ~DD born 6/7/11
    Successfully and while at work for 1 year. Now we are still till who knows...

I would go with small bottles for that age, 2-3 oz, and plan for 1 to 1.5 ox per hour of separation. BF babies rarely, if ever, take more than 4 oz at a sitting. If they do, I recommend double necking that daycare is not overfeeding.

Yes, there is a risk baby will prefer bottles. Ultra low flow nipples, changing them often as the hole opens, will help. Do NOT usie bottles at home. Ever. Those are only for when she is at daycare. If dad wants to feed, he can wait until she has solids.

Have your daycare provider use paced feeding methods.

As soon as you pick up, nurse. Like I would sit down and nurse before leaving.

Don't let them toss milk. If she doesn't eat it all, they can use it at the next feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am in similar situation, returning to work in April. However my 'daycare' will be in my home with Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Do NOT usie bottles at home. Ever. Those are only for when she is at daycare. If dad wants to feed, he can wait until she has solids.
    Any suggestions for this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m11612 View Post
    I am in similar situation, returning to work in April. However my 'daycare' will be in my home with Daddy. Any suggestions for this situation?
    Bottles with Daddy, nursing with Mommy.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

If you are home, only nursing. Daddy can't just give a bottle because you are tired.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I work FT and we follow the suggestions given by PP. 4 3.5 oz bottles, thereabouts. She nurses while at home and prefers the breast and her mommy time. Good way to reconnect after a long work day.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

thanks all