Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly no milk, will not take bottle

Default Suddenly no milk, will not take bottle

My 13 month old has always been breastfed. She doesn't eat much solids - certainly not enough to fill her up. And she has never taken a bottle. We cosleeep and nurse to sleep.

I have been sick with a cold and so congested I thought I would go crazy. My doc said I could take any over the counter medicine. So today I took mucinex severe congestion. Now I have no milk. My poor baby keeps going from breast to breast trying to nurse and just cries.

I need help. What do I do? I want to be sure she gets all her nutrition.

Thank you

Default Re: Suddenly no milk, will not take bott

How long did you take it? Are you drinking lots of fluids?

Sorry things are so rough right now! Here's what I would do:
    - Nurse as much as possible, keep switching breasts. Baby can probably get more out than you think, though it may cost her more effort than usual and she may be very fussy. Frequent nursing will bring your supply back faster than anything else.
    - Stay hydrated. When you're sick it's easy to forget to drink enough.
    - Offer baby plenty of healthful solid foods and sippy cups of water. That should help fill any holes in her diet. If you're concerned that she's missing out on dairy, you can offer lots of yogurt and also cow or goat milk.
    - Watch diaper output. As long as baby continues to have wet diapers, you know she's staying hydrated and that's really enough for a 13 month-old baby. You don't need to worry that she will starve, because at 13 months she has a lot more reserves than a younger baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I only took one dose. I'm trying to drink but honestly i could be better

Thank you so much for the support. I honestly wouldn't mind weaning now because she seems to always be on the breast. A little embarrassing when she tries to pull up my shirt in front of friends and family. I just don't want it to be traumatic for her.

You can limit when she can breastfeed. It's better to do it gradually. It doesn't have to be traumatic for her. There will be times when she nurses a lot more and times when she nurses a lot less. It's ultimately up to you, but you can do it gradually and try setting limits and see how it goes. Is it basically just the frequency that bothers you? Does she drink water from a sippy cup?

One thing that helped me was to teach my daughter a code word for nursing. For us, it's "NuNu." I taught her how to ask for her NuNus nicely and to say please. This is helpful to help maintain some boundaries and so you don't feel social pressures. Nobody has to know what the word means, but it can be a real help. You also certainly can teach her nursing manners now. It's common for babies to want to nurse when they are teething, and those darn teeth will continue for the foreseeable future. Nursing is a great way to comfort her though that, and it's a great mothering tool for you.

By your daughter's age, I started stopping nursing her while out and about. The code word and the manners have really helped me a lot. Maybe it's something you may want to consider to help your nursing relationship.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!