Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pediatrician's Advice

Default Re: Pediatrician's Advice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    In truth, my daughter didn't really eat many solids until she was closer to 16 months. Do other babies eat more solids sooner? Sure. I also think that many formula fed babies eat more solids sooner. But have you ever tasted or smelled formula? Who can blame them?
    My EBF baby was and is a solids hound. She started at 6 months by grabbing food off my plate and at a year ws eating way more than her 2.5yo brother. And still nursing all day and night. My older kid who was a formula only baby by 11 months (I got pregnant and my supply disappeared) was still on mainly formula until 16-18 months. He was not interested in solids. They are all different.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heavnlyblessed View Post
    Anyway I would like to night wean but honestly, I kind of like cosleeping- I love having her so close but I imagine that's why she's waking up every hour too, pretty sure she's just nursing for comfort though.
    Again my older baby was weaned from the breast by 11 months, still didn't sleep through the night until he was over 2 (and then only sort of) being weaned just meant we couldn't both just go straight back to sleep after "sticking a boob in it".
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

You've already gotten a lot of great advice, which I agree with (mostly, just IGNORE your ped!)... but I wanted to add that I night-weaned my daughter at 21 mos, and we still co-sleep. It took 9 nights using the Jay Gordon method. Check out that link someone else posted. That said though, she has STTN ONCE since we night-weaned- so don't think that night-weaning automatically = STTN... I have heard a lot of parents agree, that they night-weaned, and then, they just had to figure out other ways to get their kid back to sleep in the middle of the night. We now offer water and a cuddle, and it works... but she definitely still wakes up!

Also, I had a GP tell me when my daughter was 8 mos that she needed to be eating way more because, "she only has a small window to learn to eat." I freaked out, because at that point she was barely eating at all... and then I thought about it, and realized, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! Like my kid won't learn to eat- will never eat- because she isn't eating 3 meals a day at 8 mos?!?! Seriously, sometimes these docs seem to just not think about what they are saying. I think, as someone else mentioned, that when they advise these kinds of things, it is more because of trying to help you stick to cultural norms, rather than having anything to do with medicine/health.

Thank you all again! I have to say, I left the doctor's office feeling somewhat defeated. I mean I guess I thought I was going to get props for exclusively breastfeeding for one year and not even thinking about weaning yet. She basically said that there was no reason to continue breastfeeding and I had went in there thinking that my baby would continue to benefit from nursing. My daughter has thrived on breastmilk, although her doc says that we need to monitor her gross motor skills (she's 12m and not walking, just standing) but she has met all of her milestones, maybe just a little later then others. It's just been difficult seeking advice, the majority of my friends are doing things way differently then me so their advice is more along the lines of the doc. So thank you all for the reassurance, I really needed it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    My EBF baby was and is a solids hound. She started at 6 months by grabbing food off my plate and at a year ws eating way more than her 2.5yo brother. And still nursing all day and night. My older kid who was a formula only baby by 11 months (I got pregnant and my supply disappeared) was still on mainly formula until 16-18 months. He was not interested in solids. They are all different.
    They all are so different, aren't they. That's why I said many not all.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heavnlyblessed View Post
    Thank you all again! I have to say, I left the doctor's office feeling somewhat defeated. I mean I guess I thought I was going to get props for exclusively breastfeeding for one year and not even thinking about weaning yet. She basically said that there was no reason to continue breastfeeding and I had went in there thinking that my baby would continue to benefit from nursing. My daughter has thrived on breastmilk, although her doc says that we need to monitor her gross motor skills (she's 12m and not walking, just standing) but she has met all of her milestones, maybe just a little later then others. It's just been difficult seeking advice, the majority of my friends are doing things way differently then me so their advice is more along the lines of the doc. So thank you all for the reassurance, I really needed it!
    Your doctor is something else, IMHO.

My daughter didn't sit until she was about 10 months. She walked around 13.5 months. She takes her time, but she gets there! Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Your baby sounds perfectly within the realm of normally perfect!

Why would one not continue nursing after a year? Even the World Health Organization suggests that moms nurse until at least two. Additionally, past the 12 month mark breastmilk continues to be a significant source of nutritional value.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/...astfeeding/en/

I'm sorry your doctor wasn't educated enough to see the value in your wonderful accomplishment. WE DO.

Keep up the good work, mama. You will never regret listening to your HEART and your motherly instinct over a medical provider who is doling out not-so-great parenting advice disguised as medical advice.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Oh I know exactly how you feel! You SHOULD have gotten props, and how, you are so right!

When my oldest was 5 days old & we were really struggling with breastfeeding our (since fired) pediatrician actually said to me "You won't get a medal for breastfeeding." Boy is that the truth! Instead, we are harassed for NIP, questioned at every turn, undermined, not supported, made to feel inadequate, even, remarkably, called selfish (!), all for doing what every medical organization of any repute says is proven best for baby.

Sigh. Maybe you won't get a medal for breastfeeding, but real heroes (and heroines) do not need medals.

Also I would suggest you do your own research re: walking. As I recall, the normal age range for walking is very wide. Crawling within a certain frame is considered a much more important milestone. Neither of my boys walked until they were 14 months and my pediatrician (a different one who has brains where his brains should be) never had the least bit of concern.

DD1 was 6 weeks early. She didn't walk until she was 16 months.
    DD2 was 2.5 weeks early. She didn't walk until just before 15 months.

Know what our family doctor said? They'll walk when they're ready. And they did! Now they run like the wind. When asked about breastfeeding throughout, I simply said yes we were and his response was always "Good!" with a smile.

I guess my point is that a good, supportive doctor is worth their weight in gold. They're worth finding, because they are out there.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

At my 1year baby appt, my pedi's exact words were "the breastmilk now has no nutrional value". Honestly. Thank goodness I know better. I wonder how many other mamas stopped because of that. It is a real shame.

my dd just had her 6 month checkup--same concerns.............but i'm not worried; the doc insisted my daughter have her own crib; i've been cosleeping since birth! doc wanted me 2 start veggies first--i went with bananas, not to defy her, i just wanted my daughter's eating experience 2 be a good one. go w/ what feels right.

Hello:

Reading some of the responses describind the "doctor's" comments makes my blood BOIL. Your baby sound PERFECT and you are doing what is best. Development varies from child to child and it is really not a race. Follow your gut, your mother's instinct will tell you what you need to do. And please tell that "doctor" I say that he/she needs to brush-up on his/her education. ID&%$!
    First time mom to Little Luisa.