Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep/Help with Nanny

Default Nursing to sleep/Help with Nanny

My almost 9 month old is having a harder and harder time napping for our nanny when I work 3 days per week. This past week, he only napped a total of 20 minutes and was extremely over tired by the time I got home. He has never been a good sleeper and I am assuming now it's worse because he associates nursing to sleep. When I am with him, he prefers to nurse to sleep. Up until now, our nanny has been bouncing him to sleep (on an exercise ball), which was the only way we could get him to settle down during his colicky period between 2 and 9 weeks old. I have been slowly trying to get him to not associate nursing to sleep by gently pulling him off the nipple when he's drowsy (tip from The No Cry Sleep Solution by Pantley). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess I would not be as concerned if it were just me with him all of the time, but I am looking for a solution to make it easier for our nanny. Does anyone have any other advice? It seems that the only advice I hear is the cry it out method, which I don't think I could do and I feel would cause too much stress for the both of us. Also, we co-sleep and he nurses several times per night.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Nursing to sleep/Help with Nanny

At 9 months, your baby may be transitioning from 2 naps to 1 nap, something which is tough even when mom is home all day. If that's happening, your nanny may want to experiment with a slightly later nap time. I'd also suggest trying other methods to get baby to fall asleep. If bouncing isn't doing it, a ride in the stroller or in the car might work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

does he like to be worn? Could your nanny wear him to sleep and just go for a nice walk... or does he fall a sleep in the stroller, if she prefers that.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

wearing, swaddling, rocking, walking...was how my dd was put to sleep.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Does your nanny care for other kids or just this one? Because maybe it would help if she just laid down with him to nap. If she does not want to sleep, she could read or something.

What about using white noise, from a machine or a fan, dark curtains to block light? These may help baby sleep longer.

If baby takes a prenap bottle, giving the bottle slowly might help get baby to sleep just as you nurse to sleep. See http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! Our nanny has been laying down with him to sleep. He has hated his crib from the get go and we have recently put his mattress on the floor so we can lay down next to him. Interesting idea about transitioning from 2 naps to 1. Maybe the later nap time will help. He has always been a short napper, averaging 30-40 min only. Maybe if the naps are later, he will sleep longer? I do wear him sometimes in the ergobaby carrier, so that's a good suggestion also. I may suggest driving in the car, although she has not driven with him yet.

We do use dark curtains and white noise too. He has never taken much with the bottle, only around 8 oz total when I'm working. I think he makes up for it throughout the night. He eats solids 3 times per day.