Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please advice.

Default Please advice.

Hi. I was pumping after every feeding to increase my supply. Little infrequent I would say. How can I stop pumping without getting engorged. Because today I felt baby is gagging at the breast. And he is not happy. Since yesterday night I didn't pump after every feeding. I am not sure how to correct it and I am confused. Pls help.

Default Re: Please advice.

When it comes to milk production it is usually best to reduce anything you are doing gradually. If you are making enough (or more than enough) milk for your baby now, then you start gradually reducing how many times a day and how long you pump.

To reduce how often and how long you pump, if you are getting engorged between nursing sessions, offer your baby the breast rather than pump. If baby will not nurse, hand express a little to feel better. Pump only if necessary and only enough to feel comfortable.

If baby is gagging at the breast due to fast letdown, then offering the breast more often should help. Unlike pumping, nursing baby more often or longer will not increase milk production (if production is already enough.) But it does reduce the forcefulness of the flow.

Hope that makes sense.

Default Re: Please advice.

Thanks for the response. I stopped pumping after every feeding. I just pump once in the morning after first feed and get 2 ounces. I just store that. Baby is nursing every 1.5 hours is this normal? I have more milk in the breast so he is not happy with the flow but he is ok to nurse. I think there is enough milk because he is good after a feed. Send turns his head away from breast after 10 mins of nursing.

Initially I was feeding both breasts and then pump .5-1.5 ounce and use that for next feeding. Now I am ebf and hope it works out. My breasts are little uncomfortable in-between feedings but frequent feeding has helped a lot.