Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no clue

Default no clue

my sweet ds turned one early this month(woot woot) and is still nursing about 3-5 times a day. for the past couple weeks he has been refusing solid food. he has never been a big eater, but he used to be so interested in whatever i was eating. now it seems like he just doesn't care. when he does nurse, it really isn't for that long. he is small for his age and has always been, he is happy and meeting milestones and does not seem hungry but this is such a head game! he doesn't talk much yet and never asks to nurse (maybe once a day if that). wets are ok-- not sopping wet but about 5/day, and he poops 2-3 times a week. we just had our 1 year appt and the doctor said some kids his age can be disinterested in food and she wasn't concerned about his size. is this normal at all? today he nursed about 5 times, but they were all relatively short sessions-- like 5-8 minutes total each time-- and had a couple animal crackers. this does not seem like enough food. he will eat newspaper, magazines and crumbs off the floor but when i cut up strawberries or peaches or let him bite my sandwich or banana he either turns his head or throws it on the floor. he used to love to eat!! am i crazy or should i just let him be?

Default Re: no clue

Is he teething? Sometimes when they are cutting a tooth they aren't interesting in eating and yes, even nursing can be painful.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Is he teething? Sometimes when they are cutting a tooth they aren't interesting in eating and yes, even nursing can be painful.
    I might try giving him cold/frozen fruit in one of those mesh things, or a frozen washcloth/teething toy, to see if that helps. Also, maybe some tylenol. The other possibility is that he's coming down with a little bug. They do occasionally go off their food at this age when they're not feeling well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Will he nurse more often if you offer? Short nursing sessions are fine, as he is likely quite efficient at this point, but more frequent might be nice even if just to allay your fears a bit. This is one of those times it can be really good to still be nursing. Toddlers are notorious about running hot and cold on solids and its usually not a big deal, especially if baby is still nursing.