Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and milk decreasing

Default Pumping and milk decreasing

Have been pumping for two months and my supply has been slowly decreasing. My babe is not gaining enough weight so we are going to start supplementing with formula. My question is if I stop pumping during the day (which I do only twice a day because of work constraints) will it affect my milk production at night? I would still love to try to continue to nurse at night for as long as I can.

Default Re: Pumping and milk decreasing

how old is your lo?

what does the baby weigh and what has the overall gain been since birth? what are the diapers like?

we can help you troubleshoot with the pumping if you want. you could:
    change the valves on your pump
    pump more frequently ( i do it during my commute with a hands free bra because of work constraints)
    hand express a few minutes at the end
    compressions during

also, how much is your baby taking over how long a period of time. many caretakers overfeed, very common.

She is 3 months old- she has gained about 2 1/2 pounds since birth. We took her to the doc two weeks ago because I was worried she wasn't gaining enough and she only gained 2 ounces in a month- she was 9 pounds, 2 ounces (she went down on the growth chart). The doc said she needed more milk so we increased the amount of milk she was getting using the frozen "stash" I had but it is running out. It is hard to tell how much she eats when she nurses but with the increase in how much we are feeding I'm guesstimating she is getting 18-20 ounces, which is what she should be getting (according to doc). I think she is up to about ten pounds now. She eats 3-4 ounces every three hours, except after her bedtime feeding. She has lots of wet diapers so I feel like she is getting enough to eat now. I've noticed this weekend, though, with soley nursing her that she is eating more frequently, and since during the week I can only manage to pump 6 oz during the day I worry she isn't getting enough from just nursing, which is why I was thinking of doing formula during the day but trying to keep nursing at night. With my first daughter I had to stop nursing after 5 months because I couldn't pump enough for her.

How do I know what valves to look for on my pump? I have a medela pump in style.

Sorry for the long reply! It took me so long for her and I to get the nursing thing to work in the first place that I am loathe to give it up completely now!

what is your pumping schedule at work like?
    do you have a hands free bra?
    how many oz does she eat during the time you are gone and how many hours is that?
    who takes care of her?

basically, describe an average 24 hrs of nursing/pumping/her bottles

i would replace the valves every couple of months, and make sure you are doing compressions during. these are the valves and membranes. if i think there is an issue i replace them.

i also think it is critical for me to do a little hand expression at the end,this is a really good video

I pump at 8:45 and 11:30. I was pumping at 9:45 and 11:30 but changed it when production started decreasing with the hopes that more time between pumps would allow more milk to be produced (I also have a longer length of time to pump when I do it at 8:45). I don't have a hands free bra but use rubber bands to create my own hands free system :-)

Right now she is being taken care of two days a week by my hubby, two days by a family friend, and then my mom the fifth day. She will be starting at a daycare three days a week starting in march.

Her eating schedule is: around 1:00 or 2:00AM she nurses on both sides (Am guessing she gets about 3 ounces?), nurses on both sides at 5:45, has a 4oz bottle at 8:15, a 3 ounce bottle around 11:15, another 3 ounce bottle around 2:30, and then I nurse her at 4:30 or 5:00, and again around 7:00 and sometimes 8:00 (the last feeding usually isn't very long or very much). We just started the 4oz bottle.

I'll try replacing the valves- in had no idea they needing replacing! I won't tell you how old mine are :-) I'll also try the compressions. Thank you sooooo much for your help!

ok try those things.

i nurse my son right before we leave to go to work/daycare. then i put onmy hands free bra, get us in the car and hook up to the pump. so i basically pump immediately after he nurses in the car on the way there. at a light i will stop and do some compressions etc.

i would say nurse whenever you can rather than give a bottle. and nurse whenever you can, even if it is very short. its better to get in more sessions.

you can do this. it is hard work but it will all be worth it and she will be turning one before you know it. keep up the good work stay strong and positive!

ETA: also, i cosleep and my lo nurses all night. he gets a lot of milk during that time. if you are not cosleeping, i also sit at my laptop with my boppy and just let my son nurse/sleep for the couple of hours before i go to bed. you can get some good nursing in that way.

Pumping or nursing MORE OFTEN is better for your supply. An empty breast makes MORE than a full breast..so...pump more often if you can. Nurse more when at home. Those two things will help your supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Actually the longer you wait between pumping/nursing the less you will make, I would increase the pumping and nursing and see what happens. Nursing often is a GOOD sign, and will actually increase your supply.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~