Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Keeping newborn awake for feeding

Default Keeping newborn awake for feeding

We are doing great with BFing, but my little guy (5 days old) can't stay awake on my left boob! I've got him naked cept his diaper. Any tips? Thinking of keeping a cold washcloth around for this. Is that cruel?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Keeping newborn awake for feeding

the wash cloth is a good idea! very common and works well.

my lo would only wake when i put him down so that is how had to do it. you could also just do a diaper change as well.

I had a very sleepy newborn. I had to annoy him like crazy to keep him awake. A wet wash cloth is a good idea. Also, try blowing on him, tickling him, or changing his diaper between sides.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Rubbing my LO's head in a shampoo-like motion worked well for us. As well as playing with the feet.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

congrats on new baby!

If the issue may be that the flow is a bit less on the sleepy side, breast compressions may help. See this link http://www.lowmilksupply.org/compression.shtml for a description of this technique.

Also are you worrying about nursing baby on both sides per feeding? It is fine to let baby nurse on both sides if baby wishes, but many times, babies feed on one side per feeding. Especially since nursing is happening very frequently in the early days, this is usually fine just remember to start with the other side for the next feeding. I mention this because sometimes moms are told to "make sure baby nurses at both breasts per feeding for 15 minutes each" or some such overly prescriptive approach. This is usually not neccesary and not how most babies normally nurse. This is the kind of advice I would like to see go the way of the dodo, along with "nurse every 2-3 hours" which encourages clock watching instead of baby's cues watching. As long as baby is nursing a minimum of 10-12 times in a 24 hour day, it does not have to be (and usually will not be) on any set hourly scedule.

I like this article on what is normal and expected in the early days. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

and more tips for waking newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf