Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long with black poo after Iron?

Default How long with black poo after Iron?

Hello,
    I am really concerned and wondering if someone can share their expertise or experiences.

At around 6 months I starting giving my daughter multivitamins with Iron because she is exclusively breastfed. Since that time she has had black stools. So about 2 weeks ago I started giving her half the dose, but her stools were still black.

I was cautioned that black tarry stools could mean bleeding in the upper GI tract, but since the black stools started right when I gave her the iron I am amost positive it is that.

She only goes poop around once a week (she has always been this way). I took her off the vitamins completely about 5 days ago and she has had 2 poops that are still black (but very small poops).

Any idea how long the iron can stay in her for? How long do I wait to see if her poop goes back to normal when she only poops once a week?

(PS I am out of the country right now so we are not totally covered for healthcare and I dont want to take her in if it's just the iron and will resolve on its own...is there any sort of over the counter test I can do?)

Default Re: How long with black poo after Iron?

I don't know about iron and black stools, but you could try giving her lots of fiber to try to flush her system out.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

i just started her on solids last week. She has only had banana and sweet potato. Any ideas of fiberous food I could give her this early without distrupting her system? (preferrably fruits or veggies, not grains)

Sweet potato is good. Prunes. Pears. Lots of nursing should help, too.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012