Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still battling after a month and a half...

Default Still battling after a month and a half...

Hi Everyone - sorry for yet another long post -just want to give all the info right away so hopefully (i pray) someone can give me some new suggestions.

So my DS basically started 'fighting' with me at every feeding around 4 months. He's now 5 and a half months. He has basically lost almost all interest in eating. (attempt to feed and he usually just turns his head completely away from me, won't latch at all, and gets super fussy)

1) At first I thought it was a nursing strike but he has never been fussy or anything - just hasn't seemed hungry

2) then perhaps reverse cycling (as he always - and still does - eat perfectly fine in the middle of the night and was eating more frequently at night than usual)

3) and even OALD again (had it the first month or so, then thought I had it under control, but I don't have any of the same symptoms - such as leaking, engorgement, rapid weight gain etc - I do still have spraying milk all over the place at the beginning of a nursing session, very short feedings (on average 3 minutes), gulping, sputtering, spitting up etc though. I dont pump b/c that makes it worse, and I've tried blockfeeding with no change.

4)distractibility - I know this is definitely contributing to the problem, but I am not convinced its at the root of it - and I've tried every trick in the book to help us out in this department

When this all started he seemed to just refuse to eat during the day - didn't seem remotely interested in eating and has always remained perfectly content. After about a week of that, I was able to get him to eat when I was putting him down for a nap and when he woke up from a nap. Now I can usually only get him to eat during the day when he is just waking up. So before this all started he was eating about 8-10 times a day for about 5 minutes each session. Now he is eating about 7 times a day (about 4-5 times during the day and about twice overnight for about 3 minutes - and almost every day time session is a battle (middle of the night feedings are great!) and it is literally sucking the life out of me, I just don't know what I can do to help make feeding easier and happier on my little one. It is making me so crazy when he doesn't eat.

He is still pooping about once a day and has about 5 or 6 wet diapers (same as always). He is still gaining about a pound a month - maintaining his weight gain since birth. So I know he is physically okay, but mentally I just can't take these struggles anymore - it can take like 3 hours of constant struggle just to get him to eat for 2 minutes. He has never been a baby who has exhibited hunger cues, so its making it so difficult for me to leave the house (b/c I have to make sure the SECOND he stirs from a nap I am right there trying to feed him). Oh and we haven't started any solids yet, and he doesn't much like the bottle either.

I don't force him to eat either b/c that just stresses him out. If he arches his back and fusses instantly when we try, we stop then and there and I will try again later.

I've tried almost every suggestion people have given me in the past, but I just can't seem to get back to smooth nursing again. I am SO EXHAUSTED from our daytime nursing struggles but actually LOOK FORWARD to 3am feedings b/c they are so easy.

Please help.
    Lisa

Default Re: Still battling after a month and a half...

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help you sort everything out.
    your counting diapars and you know that he is gaining weight, that's great!
    maybe the baby can tell your stressed about it and it's bothering him too.
    have you thought about thrush? That can cause some of the problems that you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by lf105 View Post
    3) and even OALD again (had it the first month or so, then thought I had it under control, but I don't have any of the same symptoms - such as leaking, engorgement, rapid weight gain etc - I do still have spraying milk all over the place at the beginning of a nursing session, very short feedings (on average 3 minutes), gulping, sputtering, spitting up etc though. I dont pump b/c that makes it worse, and I've tried blockfeeding with no change.
    This definitely sounds like OALD -- which usually happens along with oversupply, which is why blockfeeding is recommended to correct it.

Could you say some more about when you tried block feeding? How many hours were the blocks, and how many days did you try it?

Some mothers with OALD find that if they trigger the first letdown and catch the milk in a towel until it slows down, their baby will then nurse more easily. For others, it turns out to be more a matter of gradual improvement as the baby grows and becomes more adept at managing the rapid milk flow.

As for the rest of your post -- I can certainly see why you feel frustrated! It must be hard to know that your baby needs to nurse but is prevented for some reason(s) from settling down to it. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job working around these difficulties with lots of night-nursing and keeping yourself available around naptime. You can at least be assured by his diaper output and continued good weight gain that he is thriving despite these frustrations.

Thanks for the quick responses. Well my doctor doesnt seem to think its thrush, and neither of us have any symptoms (other than him not wanting to nurse - but he doesnt seem in any pain when he does nurse).

I try not to stress out around him - I think i am doing a pretty good job (i just wait till he's asleep or my DH has hmi and then I want to cry or scream hehe).

As far as blockfeeding, i've tried it a few times. Once, when he was having green diapers - tried feeding him in blocks of 4 hours, 6 hours and even 8 hours (did this for about a week) - nothing changed except I went from what seemed like oversupply to not enough milk for the little guy! The doctor suspected he had a little virus at that time.

Since these recent problems started, I have tried the same thing - even up to only feeding him on one side all day long and the other side in the middle of the night - tried this for about a week also, but again found my supply to drop dramatically (which was awful b/c when he finally did show interest in eating there wasnt as much milk as he's used to).

In terms of stimulating a letdown before he latches, I have been unsuccessful at doing this unless I pump - my son seems to have the instant magic touch of getting my letdown. Thing is, once he seems interested in eating,the letdown doesnt seem to bother him (well a little, but he just swallows faster ).

I don't know whats going on... Today for example, he ate well at 2:30am, then 4:30am (went to bed around 9pm last night) then ate okay at 7am and finally just ate again around 11:30am (just a little bit though!).

Erggg...

Lisa