Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay to switch to faster flow nipples?

Default Okay to switch to faster flow nipples?

My DS is 1 year old, and we've been using #1 slow flow nipples at daycare the entire time he's been there. In the last couple months, DS has gotten super active. Daycare is saying now that they're having a difficult time getting him to sit still long enough to take his bottles. He'll arch his back and try to crawl off their laps to get down to play. So they're asking if we'd bring in #2 or #3 bottles for him. I want to keep nursing him as long as he wants to keep nursing, so I don't want to do anything that would create difficulties for maintaining our nursing relationship.

Is it okay to switch to a faster flow nipple now? My other idea was to try to switch straight to a sippy cup. Would that be better?
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

Default Re: Okay to switch to faster flow nipple

I would go for a sippy cup, or even a regular cup. My one year old drinks out of a regular cup at day care and my 3 year old had the same transition. We went straight from bottles with a newborn flow to a regular cup. My DCP has to hold the cup for her, but that's ok.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I can't imagine you would have an issue with nipple preference at this point, since your LO takes bottles while you are gone, if you switch to higher flow. But I echo the PP about switching to sippy cups. You may need to try a few cups until you find one that you both like (good flow for him and not too messy for you )
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I should add that I switched to higher flow nipples earlier, because it took my girls forever to empty a bottle and DH wanted them to eat faster. I know this is not/was not the right way to do it, but for survival (for DH) they needed to eat faster. We had a few issues with nipple preference with DD1, but that was when she was 4-5 months old. No issues now, and we have started to introduce water in a sippy at dinner time.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months