Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping at work for an older baby

Default pumping at work for an older baby

Hi helpful folks! I'm thinking ahead to the future and wondering how pumping at work works for older babies.

Right now my LO is 9 months and gets pretty much all his calories from milk. I work full-time and pump 3-4 times during my 10 hours away; he night-nurses a lot. I'll have the summer mostly home with him, but then in September will go back to 10 hour work days. He'll be 15 months old.

Will I need to pump at work? How much?

Thanks!

Default Re: pumping at work for an older baby

It depends on whether you want to provide breastmilk while you are at work, or if you/little one are OK with drinking other liquids while you are gone.
    I haven't done it yet, but you can pump wean at 12 months. You nurse when together and don't need to pump while working. You may need to pump a bit when you start back work in case you feel engorged going for 10 hours stretches.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

At 14 months old, my daughter weaned herself from bottles at day care - I think she noticed that the other babies her age weren't taking them. At home just 2 weeks earlier before I started my job she was having regular bottles between meals and at nap times. I EP, so I still pump a at work, but I would think that if your little guy is used to nursing during the day at home when you go back to work you'll have a little transition time and then he'll let you know when to pump wean.
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Thanks everyone! something was wonky with my log-in so I couldn't reply yesterday. I guess part of my questions is about ME: will I need to pump during those 10 hours to keep up my supply for the rest of the day? Or will my body figure out not to make milk during the day?

No, you can quit pumping during the day when baby is over 12 months and still nurse when home.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks!