Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distracted 4 mo eats all night long :(

Default Distracted 4 mo eats all night long :(

My LO is 4 months old and has become extremely distracted during the day, so is not nursing nearly enough, for which she makes up by waking up EVERY HOUR at night to nurse (and she really does nurse, not just comfort sucking, her diapers are soaking wet at night). We co-sleep, but I'm still exhausted from lack of sleep.

I've been trying to nurse her in the bedroom during the day, with the shades drawn, but still she would nurse for 5 minutes at most and get too distracted by sticking her fingers and hands in her mouth. Or looking around. Or smiling at me. Or "talking." I feel like as soon as she takes the edge off the hunger, she stops nursing. I keep offering to nurse, but the problem remains. In addition I feel trapped in the house because however bad her nursing is at home, it's hundred times worse outside, where there are even more things to look at.

I'm just so so so tired Any advice?

Default Re: Distracted 4 mo eats all night long

Do you have a baby carrier? Nursing while babywearing can help them focus, and you can do it during the day no matter where you are at -- home or out.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

ok some silly solutions that MAY work (they worked for my distracted tyke)
    i would talk real slow or sing real real slow so that he got all droopy eyed and would pop off while nursing. and eventually complete the feed. if possible go to a room that has nothing on the walls, just let your lo get bored basically, and try nursing then.

have you tried nap nursing during the day? lay down with your lo and try nursing--you'll get rest as well. it sometimes worked for my lo. just when i thought the darkened room wouldn't work, it did. keep trying to nurse in a darkened room! i also agree with pp's suggestion for using a carrier-- i wish i had tried that more with my lo...she now hates the nursing cover more often than not, and i'm not quite ready to nurse without a cover in all public situations. but i have noticed that the carrier has helped her focus better.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Thanks for the advice. I've tried nap-nursing and it's helping!

Also, maybe really nice long nursing sessions right before bed? It's pretty common for babies to get really distractible at this age, but it does tend to improve over time, so it won't last forever. It's also not uncommon for babies to start teething at this age, and I would suspect that if the night nursing seems accompanied by grumpiness or discomfort. Maybe try some tylenol? If it does nothing, well, baby's probably not teething, no harm done. If it helps, you may have a clue ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.