Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaing and Gaining weight

Default Weaing and Gaining weight

Hi all! My son just turned 13 months. We still nurse in the morning and before bed, and through out the day on weekends (maybe 3-5 times), but in general I would say we are weaning, very slowly. Over the last month I have gained about 5-7 pounds!!

My appetite is still super high, as high as it was at the height of bfing, but I am feeding him so much less now I think it is catching up with me. Can I blame this weight gain on the decrease in nursing/pumping alone? Did anyone else go through this? If so any advice? I have been trying to cut back on food intake, and make sure its healthy snacks, but I am so hungry all the time!!

I have a fairly active job, on my feet and walking most of the day (health care). I guess I am just going to have to start working out, like I have time for THAT!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Default Re: Weaing and Gaining weight

Sigh. You're not alone! Each time my babies have dropped all their night feeds, I have gained 10 lbs. It's so ironic- people are always (stupidly) telling me that breastfeeding makes you hang on to your baby weight, and I am always saying "No, breastfeeding makes you lose weight like crazy, it's weaning that makes you fatten up!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

darn it!!
    squealy piggy 7/1/13

Ugh, I had this but even worse. I dropped all the baby weight in like 2 months with number one, felt and looked amazing, while happily eating everything in sight. The minute baby started solids at 6 months I started gaining weight, and he had not dropped a single nursing session, we were still a long, long way from weaning.

My advice? Get on top of it now with sensible diet changes and some exercise. Just some regular brisk walking or a 20 minute exercise video can help. If you have stairs at work use those for a super quick workout! Don't let it go, I ended up starting pregnancy number two weighing what I did at the end of pregnancy number one. Not healthy.

I am pregnant now with number 3 and have Gest. Diabetes, requiring me to be on an extremely strict diet. When they told me how much I would have to limit my diet my jaw was on the floor. I was sure I would starve! But I am doing it, and in fact actually lost a couple pounds this last month (my doctor said it’s fine) all without much hunger at all. I dream about eating ice cream, but aside from that it has gone much more smoothly than I ever would have thought possible. I have finally figured out that with some sensible diet changes I can lose weight or maintain a healthy weigh without starving.

ççççççççççççç
    =]\'''cv======37

ETA: oops, that would be a baby-led post.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sigh. You're not alone! Each time my babies have dropped all their night feeds, I have gained 10 lbs. It's so ironic- people are always (stupidly) telling me that breastfeeding makes you hang on to your baby weight, and I am always saying "No, breastfeeding makes you lose weight like crazy, it's weaning that makes you fatten up!"
    This. I was stunned to suddenly put weight on and was totally puzzled. I am very active. I eat well. But suddenly, there was this extra weight. And it dawned on me...I cut to pumping twice a day
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well I am glad to see I am not alone... in a way! I mean I am not glad that we are all experiencing this, but at least there isn't some OTHER reason I am gaining! This past week I have been trying to get on top of it. Been walking daily (later days help) and have cut my snacking down as much as possible. I am sitting here so hungry right now, but just drinking water.

I also had the thought, since he is nursing less I have been drinking more beer. That probably doesn't help. I like stouts and porters and ambers, I don't drink too often, but probably 3-4 a week. So I am going to try and cut that back or out, too. Thanks ladies!
    squealy piggy 7/1/13