Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times a day to eat?

Default How many times a day to eat?

I know a newborn eats 8-12 times a day. All the information I have says that you need to feed your newborn that many times, but it doesn't talk about how many times to feed an older infant? Does the amount of times they eat a day change as they get older? How do you know what's a normal amount of times for an older infant?

Default Re: How many times a day to eat?

Ideally, a breastfed baby will nurse on demand. There is no set number of times per day. As long as your baby is having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, is gaining weight, is growing in length and head circumference, and seems content, you can assure that your baby is getting enough!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html

HTH!

I also thought that the number of times would decrease, but my 9 mo begs to differ. He still nurses about that number of times daily in addition to solids, but his feedings are generally quick (and so much easier than in the beginning). Also, when he does want to eat it isn't with so much urgency and if we're out or there are other people around he goes longer between feedings.

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    I also thought that the number of times would decrease, but my 9 mo begs to differ. He still nurses about that number of times daily in addition to solids, but his feedings are generally quick (and so much easier than in the beginning). Also, when he does want to eat it isn't with so much urgency and if we're out or there are other people around he goes longer between feedings.

I agree with this. My 7-1/2 month old eats solids twice a day, and drinks a bit of water with those as she can get constipated, but she still nurses about 8 times a day. Nursing sessions are shorter and more efficient, and she can go a bit longer between feedings if she's occuppied with other things or activities.