Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Inconsistent nursing strike

Default Inconsistent nursing strike

My DS, who turns 1 this Saturday - one year of nursing, yay! - has been in an inconsistent nursing strike since Sunday afternoon. During the nursing session, he bit me which he's never done before. He doesn't even have teeth yet, but it HURT, and I yelled out. Scared the poor little guy and he didn't want to nurse anymore. Since then he's done -
    Sunday evening - refused - turned away from the breast crying.
    Nursed 2x overnight (normal for him)
    Monday morning - refused. I work Mon, he drank his bottles fine with his caregiver.
    Monday evening - nursed, overnight nursed.
    Tues (another workday) morning and evening, and overnight, nursed.
    I figured the strike was over, but then today Wed, my day off, he didn't want to nurse at all, except right before bed.

I've read all I could find on nursing strikes and I'm trying lots of the advice, as well as I can considering things like holdign him a lot, skin-to-skin, is not really feasible with a little guy who's just learned to walk and wants only to explore the living room! Being held is boring Mommy! I took a bath with him tonight, he seemd to like that though.

Has anyone else gone through an inconsistent strike like this? It's so confusing. I feel like I'm on an emotional rollar coaster. I fight back tears with every rejection, then give in to them once he's busy playing or sleeping. I really want to make it past one year!

Default Re: Inconsistent nursing strike

Could he be teething? That can make some babies fight nursing at some times -- because the teeth hurt -- but in other situations, the teeth aren't so bothersome.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Aside from teething, could he have an ear infection at all? My DS is about the same age and is getting his molars right now. He's also got a double ear infection. We had a night where he would only nurse for seconds, and after that repeatedly refused. I gave him some ibuprofen, waited 30 minutes, and tried again. Then he nursed fine. I'm not saying any of this is necessarily happening with your little guy, but given his age, I'd give it a try.

Saturday is so close! You'll make it
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

Could be teething...I didn't think so at first b/c the on/off strike started right after biting incident and he had no other signs of teething lately. (He still has no teeth though he's had symptoms now and then since he was 4mo!) But then last night he woke up screaming at about 10:30, I couldn't calm him, he refused to nurse, my husband then tried to calm him, no luck, so I took over and finally was able to calm him and get him to sleep by rocking, etc always changing position, sitting straight, sitting back, standing, etc. It took until midnight and it's pretty rare it would take that long and with that much effort. I gave him his "doudou" too - French word for stuffed animal security blanket, I don't know what we say in English - and he was really really gumming it and fell asleep doing so.
    Anyway, he woke up 2 more times but nursed back to sleep fine, and nursed fine today too. Hope it continues!

I'm sorry you and your LO had such a rough night, but I am glad he is nursing fine now!
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .