Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation

Default constipation

My daughter is 10 weeks old and is now on day 8 without a bowel movement. She did the same thing a week ago, so in the last 16 days she has only had one bowel movement. She is exclusively breast fed. Sleeping well at night, ie one 5 hour stretch. She typically feeds every 2-3 hours during the day but cluster feeds in the evening often every hour. She wets @6 diapers per day. Until yesterday she was very happy. She passes a lot of gas- very foul smelling, could clear a room! The doctor is aware and advised me to use prune juice which has not yet helped. Any suggestions? I did have the same issue with one of my older kids when he was 4 months old and I ended up introducing vegetables which solved the problem. Clearly that is not an option. I did just return to working 2 days a week. I pump 3 times in a 9 hour period and pump almost the equivalent that she drinks by bottle during that same time. I appreciate your input

Default Re: constipation

When she has a bowel movement, is it hard and pebbly, or is it soft? Constipation is more a matter of texture rather than frequency; breastfed babies really can go a long time between poops because breastmilk is so easily digested. 8 days, while long, is not outside normal variation. It will naturally become more frequent when you add in other foods because your baby cannot digest them as well as breastmilk.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting