Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: too much solids? help appreciated!

Default too much solids? help appreciated!

DD is 7.5 months and has been eating 3 meals since 6 months. started blw at 5months but added in some spooning at 6 months. eats everything we eat, she eats lots!
    Up to 5.5months she bfed hourly day and night, and cried a lot. We had a lot of help and latch etc was deemed to be ok. Since solids introduced I have a very happy daughter who has drifted into a routine of 7am 1pm and 7pm bfeedings. With 3 big solids meals in between. I have encouraged this so that I can start a course when she is 9 months, and still feed her at lunch times (unable to express). She still feeds 3-6 times per night, and is sleeping half the night in her hammock and half in bed with us.
    After reading some of your posts I am now worried that she is getting too much in the way of solids!
    Would I be better continuing to offer the breast a bit more during the day, drop back on the solids and just get DH to offer a bottle of formula if she needs it when I'm not there?
    I'd bf until she's at Uni so I'm not in a rush to stop, but I would like a bit more sleep :-)
    thank you!

Default Re: too much solids? help appreciated!

I don't know... you are nursing her at night, so she's getting 6 to 9 nursings a day. I probably wouldn't increase her solid intake, but if she's happy and you're happy and it works, I imagine that it's ok. The reason to not give so many solids is to avoid early weaning, but with you nursing at night, I don't think it would matter. The other thing you could do is increase nursing, not pump and not offer formula. She could eat solids and drink water or whatever else during the day while you're gone.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My son eats a ton of solids, he gets super cranky if he doesn't get his food. But he still nurses about 7 times per day. He has been doing this since around 7 months, it has been a pretty steady routine for us. He hasn't increased amount of solids or decreased the amount of nursing. He is 10 months. If she is happy with the solids I wouldn't take it away from her.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

As long as baby is gaining well and meeting milestones, etc, in other words, is healthy, I see no reason for concern.
    From what I am gathering your child still nurses 6-9 times in a 24 hour day, which generally would be fine for a child who nurses effectively and gets solids as well, she is getting lots of breastmilk it sounds like to me so I doubt formula is warranted.

What can happen after solids are introduced, and also if mom is working outside the home & esp if she cannot pump, is that milk supply can be affected due to not enough overall nursing. But since you are still nursing fairly frequently overall, and nursing that one time at lunch on your work days I don't think that is a big concern.

On the other hand, if you were able to encourage more nursing times during the day, she might begin to nurse slightly less overnight.

Also when you are home during solid meal times, you can try nursing prior to the solid meals. Even babies who eat solids really well still need to get most of their nutrition via breastmilk, esp when under one year.

thank you I really appreciate your help. The last 2 nights we gave a bottle because there just didn't seem to be enough milk. I thought I was doing the right thing... after reading your posts and much self examination... I think I am getting wound up about getting DD into a routine for me to start my course, and trying too hard to stretch bf times during the day. Well the course doesn't start for 11 more weeks, and also it's only 4 days in a row one week per month. So, with your advice I am going to offer breast before solids, and go back to offering more during the day in the hope that milk will increase again and nights will have a better supply again. I am going to stuff the routine a bit and get that supply back up!! Heck I was missing the frequent day feedings anyway! I thought solids were the way forward (advice from HV!!!) But I guess if she does get hungry when I'm away, and she's great at solids then a few days here and there should be ok for DH to give her water and snacks when she can't reach the boob. Thanks ladies :-) think I need to chill out.... DD just enjoyed a completely impromptu feed straight after breakfast! Got a smile of approval!

Awww, sweet.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months