Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS not going so well :(

Arrow BLS not going so well :(

BLS is turning into what feels like s disaster with my nearly 8 month old. We started offering bits of food for her to explore right around 6 months which she wasn't all that interested in. To her it was just a new toy, except when she'd bring it to her mouth, she'd shudder and politely put the food down. Ok, no biggie, we just continued to proceed slowly. Well, now that one of her top teeth has poked through, she's nipping off a chunk of food and just holding it in her mouth. Even with keeping a close eye on her, she managed to get more than one nipped piece in her mouth stuck to the roof of her mouth. She gagged it out, which completely freaks out DH despite me explaining it as normal. However, I have to admit that her just holding food in her mouth like that makes me nervous. DH and I both agreed to stopp offering altogether until further notice...she pretty much needs to make it very clear to us that she actually is interested in food. I'm not sure if I have a clearcut question or anything but some reassurance that she'll eventually eat without freaking usnout could be nice. I'm guessing that it will get better once she has more teeth and the desire to chew things? I'm ok with exclusively BFing to a year with little to no solids if need be but I can't shake the fear of depriving her of solids at the same time. I'm plqnning on BFin to 2 yrs and beyond if that's relevant.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: BLS not going so well :(

It's pretty normal for babies to not express ANY interest in food until later, like 10-11 months, or even a year. It sounds to me like your baby is just not quite ready for solids. I'd wait until she's practically grabbing food off your plate with eagerness, you know? In the meantime, softer foods might work better. I don't see spoon-feeding as the answer. You're definitely NOT depriving her of food. If she's not interested, listen to your baby! She knows best.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with joe.s.mom
    Kids go at their own pace and there's no set age on when they should be eating x amount of food. This is one of those things that you think "oh no, he/she will never do this", and then, they do. "
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

with PP. Take a break and then start over. It's no biggie.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Even after your LO has been eating regularly she might suddenly not want to eat anything for a few days. Yes, it is hard to not worry, but part of BLS is learning to let your baby decide on what and when to eat.

BLS is both easy and hard. Easy because you don't have to make a bunch of baby food. Hard because you have to let go some control.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thanks ladies. Today I'm feeling better about things with the help of your advice. I guess I was getting worked up over worrying that she would be subtle about wanting solids and that I would miss her cues or something...now I realize that's probably a silly thought. The crazy thought processes of a first time mom are ridiculous in hindsight sometimes.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com