Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So far solids not going so well.....help

Default So far solids not going so well.....help

I started 2 wks ago when DD turned 6 months and was ready to go with my baby bullet. So far she's had brown rice, sweet potatoes and bananas. She eats about 1 TS. I am able to bring her to work so I'm trying to be consistent about when I feed her. So for now I'm doing 10am and 4pm.

When is the best time to offer solids? I nurse first then wait about 1 hr to 1.5 to offer solids, before she gets tired and wants to nap.

My son who is 5 is a picky eater, so I want to do all possible to avoid a repeat. He like all foods until age 2 then flipped.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm even willing to try baby led weaning.
    Last edited by @llli*bxmom; February 21st, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: So far solids not going so well.....

Until year, offer right after nursing. Your goal is to keep solids from interfering with breast milk intake.

Are you thinking that your baby isn't eating enough solids? A teaspoon-full per day, maybe a few teaspoon-fulls, is really all you want a 6 month-old to be eating- again, you want the baby's diet to be nearly 100% breastmilk, with solids just for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. Breastmilk alone meets all baby's nutritional needs until somewhere around the first birthday. So if she eats some solids, great! If she tastes some and then spits them out, still great! And if she refuses to eat and just explores the solids with her fingers, still great.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: So far solids not going so well.....

Great thanks! Needed to hear this.