Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So we're now a year...

Default So we're now a year...

and my husband wants sex, sex, sex, oh, and did I mention, sex???

Of course, little miss gets in the way, when she cries seemingly every other hour through the night....

Saturday, we turned one year (already? , where did the time go?!?) and I work full time. oh, and I HATE PUMPING! I think I'm gradually weaning from the pump already...not pumping the typical 3 - 5 times a day, not pumping every day (like weekends when I'm not working) etc.

But I guess I'm wondering a couple of things...

Regular Milk - when and how do I start that? We've been doing cheese and yogurt for a while now and typically she's a champ at eating...

Bottles - do I stop giving them to her, does day care, what's that process look like?

Frozen BM and daycare - if I stop pumping, obviously there goes my stash....so then what? does she need BM during the day (I feed in the mornings and as soon as she sees me after work - I don't have a choice really she starts freaking out, pulling at my shirt, trying to eat bare skin etc. until the boob is in the mouth!)

I don't - at this point - want to quit nursing entirely, and yet, I'd love the freedom from the PUMP and not always needing to be hooked up...

I guess any thoughts, advice, stories, suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks n advance ladies! You are all such great encourages!
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering

Default Re: So we're now a year...

Not sure what to tell you about your first two points. But you can totally pump wean and nurse as long as you want. I pump weaned when Lilah was 14 months and nursed her until she was 25 months old. I pump weaned around 11 months with Beatrix and had enough frozen for her to have my milk until she was almost 13 months. She's 13 months old now and gets cow's milk at day care but not at home.

ETA: About the bottles...that's really up to you. Is your daughter attached to the bottle? We just ditched the bottles one day with both of mine. My second one was a little more attached to the bottle than the first but it only took her about a week. She was fine drinking out of a cup but wanted the bottle right before nap. She adjusted without it fine. We don't do bottles at home and haven't since she's been on solids - my husband used to give her maybe one bottle every other week or so if I was out - and so we didn't have that issue.

And the "regular" milk - I can't stand that myself, the regular, I mean - but you can start giving cow's whole milk now if you want. If your baby nurses 4 times a day and is a pretty good solids eater, you could probably get away with not introducing it too if you want.
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2lilah; February 21st, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Just to chime in on day care bottles, my daughter was home with me and taking 5 bottles a day (we EP, unfortunately) from 8 months - 13 months. When I went back to work, she took bottles at day care for about a week and spontaneously weaned herself from them during the day. I would say use your frozen stash for day care for now and you might be surprised when you end up taking them back home with you all of a sudden. Is there an age where your day care transitions them to a toddler room? Ours is at 15 months and they don't have bottles in the toddler room, so that might help the transition along if it hasn't happened before then.
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Thanks ladies for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    Is there an age where your day care transitions them to a toddler room?
    We are fortunate to have two SAHM's watch Esther during the week - she's just a part of their family, so they pretty much follow my lead (which tends to their lead b/c I'm new at this!)

I guess we'll just see how it goes after talking with DH also...he watches her one evening a week (b/c I have to work) and on Saturday mornings (again, working). Yesterday I was home with her and she really didn't nurse all that much during the day either...perhaps she's weaning herself...

in fact, recently, I'll say to her..."do you want momma's milkies?" and she shakes her head NO!
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering

When I weaned Ethan off bottles he was about 11 months.. he's almost 14 mo now. I went to a soft top sippy. I didn't go straight to cows milk because I was afraid of it messing up his stomach, so I gave him sweetned coconut milk. He LOVED it. I started pump weaning and would have whoever was watching him give him the coconut milk when I ran out of breastmilk. He did just fine. I have also heard of others using rice milk or almond milk, but I wanted the Vitamin D for him. He still breastfed when with me, but it was nice to not have to worry about pumping or if I had enough breastmilk for him.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

I pump weaned when Joe was about a year (it was a gradual process that took a couple of months) and then just substituted cow's milk for breastmilk in his bottles at home. He's VERY attached to his bottle, I think I created a monster there, I'm afraid, so use your judgment. I just didn't want to deprive him of that comfort at that point, and I thought I could slowly wean him from the bottle to a sippy cup. Er ...

Warning: If your cycles haven't returned yet, pump-weaning may bring them back. The good news is that this increases libido for many nursing moms.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Having a high libido is normal especially when you are sexually active but you should also control your sexual desire because high libido is also have bad effect.

I'm so glad I found this thread as I've been wondering the same things as the poster. I've got a few questions in here, amidst a few rambling thoughts about how I'm going to try this whole pump weaning thing. I could use some advice.

DS is just past 11 months. Ever since he started daycare at 5 months I've struggled to make enough milk (and done all the things you're supposed to do to increase supply). For months I've been getting up every day, 7 days a week, at 3am to pump for 30 minutes, because it's the only time I can reliably get about 5 ounces, and without that pump session I won't have enough milk for his daycare bottles that day. I haven't had a freezer stash since he was 2 months old because I can't pump enough to make one.

So yeah, I LOVE LOVE LOVE nursing my guy, but I am READY to ditch the pump.

I'm thinking that now maybe I can gradually pump wean. He eats like a champ -- he LOVES solid food. He's had the typical infant dairy allergy all his life and we're currently trying to test it out (yogurt this weekend) to see if he's getting over it so that we can introduce cow's milk. If he still reacts poorly to cow's milk, what's a good substitute? I imagine that cow's milk is used so he gets the full fat, but I can't think of a non-dairy milk that has the same kind of fat content in it.

My low supply has dwindled even further lately, despite keeping my 6-times-a-day pump schedule. I'm not sure why. My suspicion is that it's because DS doesn't seem to nurse as long now when he's nursing (it's a quick 5 minutes now each side as opposed to the 15 minutes or more that it used to be), and he doesn't always want to nurse right when we get home -- if dinner is ready, he's totally fine with just eating his solid food dinner (although some nights halfway through he starts to cue for nursing if he's particularly fussy).

Normally I'm stressing out about not having enough milk for his daycare bottles by the end of the week (the weekend usually gets me ahead by a few ounces), and some weeks I just eat a day off from work and keep him home with me to nurse so I don't have to fill bottles (and get the extra boost I need from that night's pumping), and sometimes I try to pump an extra ounce or two before going to daycare.

I'm thinking that at this point, maybe I don't need to do that, and I can start sending one bottle of cow's milk (or whatever we start using) to day care in place of a BM bottle. What do you all think? I think he still likes his bottles at daycare, they're usually a good way to get him to take his nap, so I don't think he's ready to ditch them completely. But the daycare ladies did say that he's such a good eater that they're not concerned when I've had to send him with bottles that have a couple less ounces in them than usual.

Sorry this was so long.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.