Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Booby Traps Series

Default Booby Traps Series

Booby Traps Series at BestforBabes.org

GREAT blog. I think all expecting moms might consider perusing them and seeing what might be thrown their way. Today's is on low blood glucose, and yes, it almost derailed breastfeeding my first baby.

Because he was so big (over 11 lbs), my midwife insisted on testing (and I didn't know I could decline it). His glucose was low (I didn't know it was still normal though) and dropped lower after I was transferred to the hospital, where he developed the shakes, and I was in surgery, so instead of saying, here let's give supplemental feedings via a syringe, DH OK'ed a bottle.

And that ONE time made it very, very difficult to breastfeed him for 8 long weeks, where I toughed it out basically alone except for bad advice to pump after every feeding (I had OALD and OS) and to quit (from everyone).

Instead, we should have given him any supplements some other way, and they should have had me nurse him, as I was not out completely for the surgery but was still where I could have nursed instead. Oops.

But so easily, I could have ended up EPing for my first or quitting entirely because of this booby trap
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; February 21st, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Booby Traps Series

And here is the link to the blog.

At the hospital where DS1 was born (big University hospital) I was told his blood sugar would be tested and "if it were low, we will supplement him." I was rather mad and argued with the nurse. Fortunately it wasn't low. When DS2 was born (smaller regional medical center) they told me that since he again was big that they would monitor it but "if it is low, we will just make sure you are nursing more often." No mention of supplementing.

ETA: And you get a really interesting set of links when you google "booby traps".
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I added the link to the OP. I love that blog too.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Excellent! I had no idea that blood sugar and ketone levels were different for breastfed vs. formula-fed babies. This is such a huge booby trap. So many unnecessary mama-baby separations, so many unnecessary heel-sticks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here is a very nice article on what to do should you get sucked into a trap.

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...oby-traps.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Reading through those I'm amazed at how many of those things I encountered and didn't even realize! Such great information, I wish I'd had it before having the baby. I took a breastfeeding class but it really didn't begin to touch a lot of that stuff.

(maybe that's another trap, inadequate breastfeeding classes!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goldentoes View Post
    Reading through those I'm amazed at how many of those things I encountered and didn't even realize! Such great information, I wish I'd had it before having the baby. I took a breastfeeding class but it really didn't begin to touch a lot of that stuff.

(maybe that's another trap, inadequate breastfeeding classes!)

Or breastfeeding classes taught at the hospital. Most of those are not led by IBCLCs, just an RN with maybe some extra training. Seriously, I have a really good friend who teaches those classes, along with the "childbirth" ones, and that is exactly what she told me.
    Susan