Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby vomiting - Second opinion please!

Default Re: Baby vomiting - Second opinion pleas

[QUOTE=@llli*aprilsmagic;1242421]http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html. nice link[/QUOTE what a great link. that is a great site as a resource

Hmm... She has vomited 6 times since Monday (went two days without, but it happened again last night at bedtime - she kept squirming and feeding, then up it all came! Looked like 2 oz or so). No other symptoms still, does not show Any signs of dehydration, so I'm not panicking... But I guess I should schedule a visit with a new doc? Maybe it's something else!

Agreed on the link!

Sounds like a bug to me We had something like that run through the family earlier in the winter. A day or two of pukes, then a couple normal days then more vomiting
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yeah, she threw up again last night (of course it was right after DH left for work!) It's fun whisking her away to the nursery while thinking "Gee, I hope the dog doesn't lick it up off the floor!" ...she didn't! Anyway, she had the first rough night, waking up twice in a whimpering screech, so we'll be contacting the doctor. Prior to vomiting, she gets really squirmy at the breast, feeding and pulling off, before gagging. Is it possible she's eating too much?

She could be getting too much milk- that sometimes happens when mama is overproducing and has a fast letdown. A big spit-up, which can be mistaken for vomitting, often follows.
    Signs of overabundant supply or fast letdown:
    - frequent feelings of engorgement or "fullness"
    - frequent leaking
    - baby produces stools which are frequently or consistently green or greenish
    - baby chokes, gags, coughs, splutters, or produces a "clicking" or "clucking" sound while nursing
    - mom can pump multiple oz with ease, if she is pumping
    - baby pulls off the breast during feedings
    - when baby unlatches during a feeding, mom may see milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    If you think fast letdown/oversupply is a problem for you and your LO, there are ways to work through it and we can help with those. A good and harmless way to start is to adopt reclined nursing positions. That way gravity is enlisted to slow down the flow of milk and make baby more comfortable.

ETA: you want to see several signs of oversupply before diagnosing it as a problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We had 4 of those symptoms, but it was only during the morning/afternoon, and she was fine during the night. I was pumping an extra 2oz per day to store up, but I've stopped. No puking in 4 days, but colicky at breast as stated. I tried the laying back while encouraging her, or walking about and it seems to be working. She had several orange poops yesterday, and a huge one just this morning, but she also slept like a pro since last evening (7 hours straight at one point). I'll see how the fussiness goes today. I'm worrying for my family because I go back to work in 2 weeks! I don't know how babies go to sleep without nursing!

so weird! i couldnt imagine giving my newborn gatorade... that doesnt seem okay to me! i probebly would want to switch doctors too.