Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby vomiting - Second opinion please!

Default Baby vomiting - Second opinion please!

Shaela was given her two month old vaccines Friday. Since yesterday she has thrown up (not spit-up) three times. No fever, seems happy, still eating and sleeping regularly. The pediatrician said it could be a stomach virus and to give her no milk, only Gatorade with table sugar in it, and something called Florastor for three days. I called another pediatrician, but they wouldn't advise me without seeing her. Does this sound right? She doesn't take a bottle yet, so this sounds like a nightmare!

Default Re: Baby vomiting - Second opinion pleas

That does not sound like good advice to me. I have always nursed my babies through stomach stuff.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, I agree with Susan. I'd keep nursing.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you so much! I thought it sounded off.

Our ped recommends continuing breastfeeding through stomach virus. They do recommend stopping formula with a virus and that may be what your doctor is basing his/her advise on.

Yeah, it sounds like your doc gave you advice for a formula-fed baby, bot a breastfed one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I find that disturbing, he knew I was breastfeeding. Time to find a new doc! Thank goodness for this forum and that I didn't blindly follow his instructions! I guess mother's intuition does exist? Additionally, she was given the rotavirus vaccine and webmd says possible side effects include vomiting. As there was no fever or other symptoms, you'd think he would have attributed it to that rather than a stomach virus? Are there other symptoms with a stomach virus?

I assume this is only the beginning of the confusion and doubt that comes with caring for a baby!

No, as far as I know it's really hard to differentiate between tummy bug and vaccine reaction. Except perhaps by duration? . I think vaccine reactions usually are short-lived whereas tummy bugs can last for days- unless you're dealing with some sort of 24 hour bug, in which case you're back to square one when it comes to figuring out what this is!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

wow I'm totally with you mama. My son was given a vaccine on Friday and has been vomiting ever since. I actually took him back in yesterday and the advice was to just keep nursing. My doc advised that I offer to nurse 12 or more times per day (my son is 1)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language