Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three weeks old still no latch

Default Re: Three weeks old still no latch

Oh one other thing. Try and keep the breasts a positive experience. Lots of skin to skin. I would lay around with baby in just a diaper on my bare chest. Even after a bottle. To let them find comfort in my breast and in hopes that nature would take over.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

That is incredible what you have just explained. My hubby has also experienced the meltdown and has been my pilar of strength as well as my cheering section. He has explained my difficulty BF our son as the most heart wrenching and helpless he has ever felt in his life. Again today he called to check on me only to hear my sobs on the other end. He again told me not to give up that he knows we will have success. I'm now determined to stay strong and positive. I keep thinking I'm doing all the right things but it wasn't until I read your words that they had their own lightbulb moment as I truly believe Kaison just needs to figure it all out in his own time.

I just have another question. Did you bottle feed your EBM to your babes? I do bottle feed my EBM to my boy and it is one thing I constantly struggle with but all other methods I've tried to supplement have just added to the confusion.

I did use a bottle. My daughter was a preemie and was tube fed at first then bottle fed after that. With my son I knew better but by week 2 it became too time consuming to finger and cup feed. Be sure you are using a slow flow nipple. Maybe start with say an ounce of milk to take the edge off then offer the breast.

It is heart wrenching. I couldn't even imagine being the man in the equation. Because while we are feeling the failures they can't fix it. There is absolutely nothing they can do to make it better.

You can do this mama. You already know your body is capable from your other children. Now it's time for your son to figure it out. Find another LC. Get someone who really knows to hold your hand through it. I remember asking for help and wanting someone to give me steps. There had to be a clear answer to follow. But everyone told me what I already knew. Time was it. And patience.

Could you try pumping just to the point of being close to a letdown, and then put him to the breast right away? Maybe he will get some positive experiences that way with quick gratification? Just an idea.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I just have another question. Did you bottle feed your EBM to your babes? I do bottle feed my EBM to my boy and it is one thing I constantly struggle with but all other methods I've tried to supplement have just added to the confusion.
    Here is a method for bottle feeding that is generally more supportive of breastfeeding and may help with flow confusion. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

You could certainly try an SNS. It gives baby a quick reward for just trying.

My DH just didn't know what to do with me and it still upsets him that he couldn't fix it.

Dnt give up yet!!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Still working at BF and trying all of the tips and advice. It doesn't seem as tho anything is making a difference but I keep at it. It is so difficult emotionally. I think that is my biggest challenge right now. I can't believe how much I cry lately. I'm just so very sad that I'm having so many issues BF. Sometimes I wish there was some magical answer but ive come to realize its not me. My baby is the one who is struggling and I'm hoping he will figure it out and we will have this solved

Today Kaison actually went on my breast he was sleepy and had had a bottle of EBM so he was relaxed. He stayed on for about five mins using me as a soother. It was so wonderful to just hold him close to me without the screaming, back arching, scratching and pulling away. Even tho he didn't nurse I have decided that it is progress for us and for now that helps my sadness. So often it feels like I'm making no progress at all so I'm going to keep remembering its the little things that matter now

That is progress, because at least he understands the nipple has a purpose and will put it in his mouth. Mine refused the nipple at all. But once they started even letting it in their mouth it wasn't long after that.

I would think that having baby use the breast for comfort would be a huge step towards actually nursing. If baby is gently suck-suck-sucking at the breast, and some milk happens to come out, maybe he starts to think "Hey, this nice snuggly thing actually does have food in it, maybe it's not such a bad alternative to the bottle..."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh that's so good to hear that I appear to be making some progress

I will keep at it and stay positive

Thanks ladies ..... This thread has kept me going thru some dark hours the past couple of days