Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!

Default Ouch!

My lo chomped down on my left nipple Saturday in the middle of the night! I didn't think anything of it cause he has done it in the past, just not this hard. Now he has a sprouting top tooth and has been nursing funny also. Well last night it still hurt to nurse him on that side so I took a look, yup, I have puncture wounds on the under part of my nipple. They are super painful! Is there anything I can do to help with the pain and how long will it take for it to heal? Seems like a tough spot to heal. TIA

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Ouch!

Lanolin and time. Neosporin is also safe.

I was bitten there and tried to latch baby on differently for a few days while it healed. Ouch is right
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ouch! I have not experienced this yet. I am not looking froward to it at all.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

this happened to me on the underside of my left nipple when ds cut his first bottom tooth....

For a couple of days I would always start him on the OTHER side and then just use old lefty as dessert (and I hand expressed if I felt too full) so that by the time ds nursed on the left side he wasn't super hungry and doing his "angry latching" . So I did that for 2-3 days and it caused me to be lopsided for a week after... but at that point my supply was well established and everything went back to normal pretty quickly.

Hope it heals quickly
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks everyone. Just before getting in the shower just a few minutes ago I looked at it again and you can see the holes and its red and swollen and there is now puss

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

Why does he only chomp on the side with the wound?? omgosh I am going nuts here. I even start him on the good side and then offer the bad after he is calm but noooooooo he still bites down!

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

Can you change his nursing position, mama? That way if he bites he won't be biting down on the same wounded area.

If you're seeing pus, definitely use a topical antibiotic like Bacitracin.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"