Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insomnia!

Default Re: insomnia!

So to update, Evan was weighed today and we have only gained 2oz in 10 days despite feeding at least 10 times per day. He is 11 weeks tomorrow and weighs 9lb 4oz. My LC was very helpful and told me to carry on as we are but try to get more rest and stop weighing him so often - she suggested in a month! She confirmed he latched and feeds well and suggested that his lack of sleep/naps could just mean he is a more alert baby (I agree he is very alert) and try not to worry.

I just wondered if anyone else has any advice please. I feel relaxed now but the slow gain does concern me.

Thanks

Just a note on incline sleeping. My daughter has reflux and recently a cold. We use a swing for the incline and sometimes it works great. Other times she hates it, but likes her bassinet better. We put a folded up blanket under the bassinet mattress so that it is at a 30 degree angle. This way it is still safe. She does sometimes slide down a bit, but tends to sleep right through it. She would rather sleep on me, but will tolerate being put down much better with the incline.

I agree with not weighing him so much. My DD had delayed reflux (didn't show until about 2 months), and at that point started to gain weight MUCH slower than in her first two months and after that I was ALWAYS taking her in to be weighed and now wish I hadn't. However, she is 7 months old, and has finally found her growth percentile. IF you are concerned about your supply you can always try fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea (it's organic!), both of them work for me. Talk to your pediatrician (who IMHO think you should be able to trust implicitly) and if he/she isn't concerned then you shouldn't be either. My DD also had bad sleeping spells and until she was four months old she was ALWAYS up and constantly latched from 11:30 pm to about 1:30 or 2:30 am. Don't give up though!

I had oversupply, and my baby was a very light sleeper and demanded human contact to sleep, just like your little one. I can't offer any magic solutions to that, but he did grow out of it eventually. However, it really sounds like your supply is great. The reason your baby slept better with formula is because it is so much harder to digest, and has so much stuff in it that your baby doesn't need. While it's really hard on parents, it's actually good for a baby to rouse easily at night and sleep very lightly. It really decreases their SIDS risk while they're still very little. So that's the bright side of these very light sleeping, high needs babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.