Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insomnia!

Default insomnia!

Hi all,

My 10 week DS number two has never been a great sleeper and we have mainly co slept at night and used sling in day. The last week he is feeding 1.5-2 hourly max round the clock. Feeds seem less effective and at night he can get v fussy. Often he falls asleep feeding, I cuddle him to me and he cries and roots again. This can lead to seemingly never ending cycle and it feels like neither of us get any proper sleep. Up until last week he would occasionaly go down in Moses basket or side car cot but now will only sleep at night on top of me.

Two nights ago I got so upset/tired at 2am we gave him 3oz formula and he instantly fell asleep and slept for 3 hours not on me. I couldn't sleep as felt heartbroken! This is the only time he has had formula though.

So what am I doing wrong?

I would like to express to increase supply and let ny husband maybe give him one bottle at night but at the moment I have no opportunity and when I do try to express after a feed I get virtually nothing.

Any advice much appreciated.

Default Re: insomnia!

You aren't doing anything wrong. Newborns need to eat around the clock. They have tiny stomachs and breastmilk is very quickly absorbed into rapidly growing organs and tissue. The reason the formula lasted longer is because it is much harder for them to digest and not nearly as much gets absorbed. You should NOT supplement. It really is very detrimental to your supply. Not only did your body miss the que that it needed while your baby was eating the formula, but also as you said, the next que to make millk which would have come in two hours, didn't come for 3. So that is 2 cues to make milk that your body missed. And that happens every time you use it. Allow your baby full access. And I think that having your DH feed one bottle a day is a great idea! I did this and I would then Nap for the 2hours before the marathon night feeding sessions would begin. I would pump 1st thing in morning when I would get up to go pee. I always got the best yield then and was never lacking for the feed when he would wake. Most women have strongest yield in the am.
    We have all been there with the constant night wakings. I think another thing to look at is really resting during the day. Consider Napping with your child at least once a day. Because the thing is, the broken sleep....it's not going anywhere. It's gonna be broken from here on in. People who talk about their babies sleeping through the night....they are lying. So rather than be up all night and then trying to get stuff done during the day every time the baby sleeps, look at really resting at some point during the day with the baby AND handing the baby over for 1-2hours every night so you can get some ME time. 22hours a day taking care of your baby is enough. I would use that time to sleep sometimes or read or take a shower or WHATEVER but knowing it was coming every day....it really helped. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Ps I have pcos, could this make me have low supply? I bf first son for 8 mo after a massive struggle with poor weight gain and bad latch. I took domperidone with him but don't really want to this time. DS 2 has always latched on really well, he gains about 3-4oz a week, lots of wet nappies but only poos on average every four days since birth.

Nope. Doesn't sound like low supply. Your child is gaining and has enough wet diapers. And what you are describing Sounds like very normal eating patterns at this age. 3-4oz a week is within the range of normal. He's napping during the day?

Way too lazy for formula

Only naps in sling, often while sucking my finger. Won't take a dummy. He also naps reasonably well in car although sometimes won't even sleep there. The fact that he's in the sling makes it hard for me to nap with him, that and my energetic two year old! Thanks for your advice, I know the formula was a bad move but I did give it after feeding and am determined not to again, hence all the questions! X

Oh you have a toddler. That does make it more challenging. But I wouldn't give up on the idea of a nap! Your toddler still goes down at least once a day? What about a Swing? Do you have one of those? Will he settle there? Sometimes the issue with babies that do better in a sling is their need for an incline to rest. It would explain the need to sleep ON you as well as doing better in a car and sling. The uprightness of it all. Do you have a swing?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes I have just bought a swing and am hoping it will help. I have thought about the incline idea and occasionally have put him in car seat in the house where he sometimes sleeps but only for 20-30 mins!

Well they make Crib matresses at an incline specifically for reflux babies! I would maybe look at one....my son was very nasally and he did better at an incline. Which we achieved with pillows. But I would not suggest that....because it's probably not safe. So try a swing, try an incline, but mostly don't panic and don't stress. What you are experiencing is normal. It's not cause for alarm. I would ESPECIALLY work the pumping and getting a break into your day as you are taking care of TWO babies! And expect marathon feeds. Though don't expect them to last. They are probably tied to some growth spurting.
    Also WAIT. When you think your child is asleep, still WAIT to take him off. Because often trying to unlatch baby and move away from them too soon causes the wake up cycle. So WAIT. At least 5-10minutes before trying to move baby.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; February 20th, 2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: HIM

Way too lazy for formula

Thankyou, all good to know. Do you have any tips for more effective pumping? I have an electric medela swing pump.

This link covers increasing supply when pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

I am with the PP that what you describe sounds pretty normal for a young baby, and doesn't sound like low supply. It's very typical for babies to pass out after a bottle because it fills them so full that they are too stuffed to do anything but sleep. Also, formula can sit rather heavy on a tiny tummy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"