Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Peas = scream fest

Default Peas = scream fest

So tonight we started 6-month-old DS on homemade puréed peas for the first time after doing rice cereal every so often for about three weeks. (we plan to do BLS when he's able to sit up on his own -- for now he has a huge interest in food but we don't think he's ready for BLS yet, so we're kinda taking a half step with some purées first.)

Within an hour he was screaming. I mean, this kid has never cried like this EVER. I couldn't nurse him (he desperately wanted to but it wasn't helping so it only frustrated him), all I could do was bounce him in a carrier for two hours, pat his back, and try nursing every so often again. I think he was having stomach or intestinal pain as he seemed desperate to nurse (something he did when he was gassy as a newborn). He was like this for two solid hours until he finally began nursing without complaining while I carried him upright in the wrap to help, and then just passed out from sheer exhaustion.

We're a little freaked out that this is the reaction he had with his very first "real" food. Is this normal?! I never read anything that suggested this would be the case when I read up on starting solid foods.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Peas = scream fest

Wow. That's really interesting. I have no idea.

FWIW, you don't really need to worry about solids until he can sit up on his own - your milk is enough. It's possible he seems interested in food, but is he just wanting to grab stuff? Just a thought. I tried to do BLS, but my daughter liked the purees. I dunno. I also felt more secure sending her with purees to daycare, because I knew she wouldn't choke without me there watching her like a hawk. Just FWIW. You also don't have to do rice cereal, and some will tell you it's a choking hazard if he can't sit up alone yet.

I think I'd back away for awhile and just see how it goes.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

You did almost every thing I was going to suggest.

I personally feel it sounds like gas to me....some foods make some people more gassy then others.

I was going to suggest wearing him and walking around (helping him pass the gas-warmth + movement=gas passing).

The only other thing I could reccomend is hylands collic tablets, or some kind of baby gas treatments sold on the market (we prefer the colic tablets though by hylands). I personally would of given my LO the tablets, put LO in a sling/wrap, walked around and like you did keep trying to offer breast till it passed.

All that being said....this could also be a sign he is not ready. If he's not sitting up on his own, his digestive system just may not be ready to digest things that are NOT breastmilk and that may of been what caused the tummy ache.

I am not a nurse or a expert, this is just my mommy experience saying what I would think if this happened with my LO.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    All that being said....this could also be a sign he is not ready. If he's not sitting up on his own, his digestive system just may not be ready to digest things that are NOT breastmilk and that may of been what caused the tummy ache.
    I wondered that, too. When we started him on rice cereal it was because he seemed super interested in food (imitating us chewing, fascinated with food, etc.), and he LOVES his rice cereal (even though we know it's not so much for nutrition as it is for fun and new texture). The pediatrician said we should start but he wasn't insistent on it (and said it wasn't to replace his nursing sessions, which I knew, but it was good to hear the ped say that as I know not all of them are up on BF info). So I'm thinking that maybe we'll back off a bit, or -- since he really does love being fed new stuff (he loved the peas right up until they made him sick) -- try a new non-legume food in a week and only in a very tiny quantity and see what happens.

He's pretty close to sitting up on his own, he's just not QUITE there yet. His interest in food seemed to outpace his actual developmental ability to handle it on his own (sitting up, eating foods BLS style) and all the literature suggested that if they seem ready even a little before 6 months, go for it, so we did. But maybe that was a little too soon anyway.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Don't sweat it, mama. I think people get a little too obsessive about the timing of solid food intorudction. A few weeks isn't likely to make a big difference in your baby's life. The science on solids is in constant flux. Some studies suggest waiting until 6 months, some say 4-6. Some studies say delay allergenic foods, others say there's no reason to do that. There's no one perfect way to start.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pps. just wanted to add that my LO is fine with plenty of solids (esp. now that she's way older) but peas in particular have always given her gas. pureed, whole, frozen, fresh, stewed, etc. She has screaming horrible gas. so now we avoid them or go in very small quantities mixed with other food.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I'd just avoid peas. I'm not saying she's allergic to them, but green peas are actually one of the more common allergens. Maybe you could try something like sweet potato or avocado or squash or something.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous