Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 year old seems to be nursing MORE!

Default 1 year old seems to be nursing MORE!

My son is 12 1/2 months old and started solids at 6 months. But now that he's a year old, he totally refuses baby (jar, or pureed) foods, and is very slowly getting into "regular" food. We're trying but he's moving slow on that. He goes to daycare three days a week and they have an easier time getting him to eat table food than I do (and it's a little easier for my husband, too). Oh, and at 12 months he started getting those yucky colds going around his daycare. So he's sick, not eating as much, and nursing, it seems more than usual. I thought by now we could start weaning off the night feeds (because this mama is tired) but I don't feel right about putting him through that, espcially when he's sick.

The good news: my supply is great. I pump 3 times a day. We haven't added any cow's or other kind of any other type of milk, and I'm barely getting him started on juice. What do I need to do? Should I be concerned about his slow progress on eating? Should I wait to wean off the night feedings? When do I get to sleep more than 3 hours? He's growing and developing just fine, the doc isn't concerned (he even started walking this week), so I do feel a little like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill... maybe I just want to hear that it's going to be OK.
    Mama to Jules, born 1/28/11

Default Re: 1 year old seems to be nursing MORE!

How is he doing with his teeth? Most babies are working on their first set of molars at that age. Teething combined with a cold can really interfere with eating solids. My DD started nursing more at a year, especially at night when her teeth would bother her more. She is now 19 months old, and finally slept through the night last night for the first time. Hang in there mama, it will get better and your LO's behavior seems pretty normal to me.

He could be teething those molars - I haven't looked. I will (if he'll let me!) when he wakes up. He's had four teeth on top and two on the bottom forever, so yeah, there could be more teeth in there! It's hard separating if he's sick from teething. I do recall that the ped told us at the 12 month visit that their growth does slow down at this point; I just want to make sure that I'm doing all I can to keep him healthy, and maybe I get a little obsessive about worrying about what he eats/doesn't eat. Thank you!

It's going to be ok.

It's pretty normal for them to ramp up nursing around that age. Teeth are usually the issue.

My daughter didn't eat many solids until she was closer to 15-16 months. You don't need to worry about adding any cow's milk as long as your baby is nursing at least 4X a day. You can offer things like whole milk yogurt, perhaps? It's not nutritionally necessary, but my daughter liked it - and still does.

At this point, you can continue to pump or you could wean off pumping at work if you wanted to. I pumped until my daughter was a year at work and I know it's WORK. It's not surprising that others can get your baby to eat more than you can. Your baby would prefer to nurse from you, and that's totally normal and natural.

The only way I could manage this was to co-sleep, which was nice when I was away from my daughter at work anyway.

Your baby sounds very normal. Keep up the good work.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

sounds like exactly what we are going through. my almost 14 month old is nursing like a newborn lately between teething her I teeth (all 4 at once) and back to back winter colds. she is hit or miss with eating solids for me, but eats well most of the time for dh or the nanny. we too cosleep which is the only reason i am still somewhat a functional zombie
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

I am there too mama, my 13 MO has been teething these past few months and nursing every 2-3 hours throughout the night. I have been a complete zombie. I got a break for a few weeks, but now we are back into it with the eye teeth. It's a really hard phase. Can you cosleep? It may help or it may not...my LO sleeps worse with me now, even though we have coslept since day 1 BUT for a lot of mamas cosleeping really helps them get more sleep.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

My little boy really didn't take to solids until well after his first birthday. And he also ramped nursing up a lot around a year, but then backed off a bit around 15-16 months. Having a cold would often put him off other foods for a while, too. So this all sounds very normal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone! It's been a couple of weeks and we're doing much, much better. He's eating more food during the day (but still waking up to night feed 2-3 times a night), and getting much more adventurous.

I'm not ready to stop pumping completely (I'm away from him for 12 hours at work, and that's way too long - he's not ready for that), but I am definitely considering getting it down to just 2 times a day instead of 3. We'll see if he can handle that next week.

Thanks again. You all really calmed me down and eased my mind. I guess if I didn't worry, how would I know I was a mommy?