Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle prefrance and low supply

Default bottle prefrance and low supply

my LO has been fussy at breast all weekend esp in the afternoon. I work Mon thru friday 8 till 4:30. She is 15 weeks old. I pump 2x's @ work 10 and 1:30 for approx 20 min my supply seems to be decreasing went from getting 5 to 6 ozs to less than 4. Have bfe all weekend but she hasn't been to happy about it will nurse fine for a litlle whie then fuss. I probably should have tried to pump some this weekend 2. i worry she prefers the instant gratification of the bottle and that my milk isgonna dry up. Any tips ladies? Ps She hates goin to sleep shefights it like crazy! Thnks fo your help!!!

Default Re: bottle prefrance and low supply

Do you have a slow flow bottle? Like really slow? Is it wide mouthed like the breast? What kind of pump are you using? Have you checked all the parts? For sleep you can try reading The No Cry Sleep Solution. A lot of people have success with it.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

It sounds to me like it would be very helpful if you could add in a third pumping session at work. You're working an 8.5 hour day and pumping just twice. In that sort of time span, the average breastfed baby would probably nurse at least 3-4 times. And babies are much better than pumps at maintaining milk supply!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What kind of pump do you have? Can you pump more often?

Reserve bottles for when you are at work only.

Look for a very low flow bottle and change your nipples very often.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a lanison (sure I spelled that wrong) pump. I pump before I go to work ad Bf and we BF as soon as i get home it takes about 5 min to get to or from work. My sister got me a bottle for breastfed babies gonna try it today.As for pumpng again at work it takes me 30 to 40 min beacause I have to walk so far from my job then I have to get set up everytime. that i alot of time to be gone. I thought about pumping at llunch but afraid I would be gone to long andwhen would i eat? Can't eat on my job its to hectic.

If the pump is used, that could be part of the problem. I have one of those pumps, and I liked it. Also, are your horns the right size? Too small and you won't get enough milk. Too large and you won't get enough milk either, and either situation can make you sore.

You very probably need to find a way to pump at work an extra time. Eat while you are pumping...get a hands free bra. If you wear it under your clothes (you can't do it with the Simple Wishes one, though) you could try pumping at your desk with a cover on Don't break it all down...leave your horns and bottles attached and store them in the fridge. It should not take too long to set up then.

Are you using the pump effectively, in that you are using the suction at a low setting and the speed at a faster setting at first, then switching when you get a letdown? Try switching it back when the milk slows to see if you can get a second letdown.

Massage and compress your breasts. This helps totally drain your breasts to empty them, and an empty breast makes more milk than a full one.

Change the little white pointed valve pretty often on that pump, or it loses suction very easily and doesn't work as well.

I personally have very good results with that pump, but...it does not work well for some moms. If possible, try renting a hospital grade pump for a week (unfortunately, you will have to buy the kit as the hospital grade pumps use a different set up) and see if pumping with that makes a difference for you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Is there any way to find a closer location to pump at work? Maybe even a place where you could leave your pump set up, and just duck in to use it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"