Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush Nightmare

Default Thrush Nightmare

Hello there, I apologize in advance for another thrush thread, but I'm really pulling my hair out and running out of options.

I have a 3 month old that has had thrush since she was 4 weeks. We have tried Nystatin twice in conjunction with triple nipple cream (when it was clear that I had a nipple infections as well). My nipple pain cleared and has not returned. Her thrush cleared and then came back, twice. We've tried swabbing her mouth and my nipples after feeding with a vinegar/distilled water mix, and have also tried a grapefruit seed/distilled water mix. We then moved to gentian violet, and have done 3 rounds of it, each time increasing the number of days we used it. The thrush clears and then returns 10 -12 days later. This last round of gentian was combined with cutting out all wheat, dairy, yeast, alcohol, sugar from my diet for 2 weeks. The thrush still returned, so our pediatrician finally put her on a 10 day round of Diflucan. Her last dose was Thursday, and it appears that the thrush on her tongue is returning. Additionally, for the past 10 weeks, all my bras and towels are washed in hot water. Everything that touches her mouth (nipples and pacifiers) is one time use and then is washed and sanitized in steamer bags before re-used.

Has anyone else dealt with a super resistant case of thrush, and are there other options? I know that it's mostly just a nuisance, but my worry with doing nothing is that then she will pass it back to me and I'll have to suffer a nipple nightmare again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Thrush Nightmare

Have you taken the diflucan? And if so what dose? I believe the average dose for a vaginal yeast infection is much lower than what you would want to get rid of thrush.

I kept using a vinegar wash before and after my son nursed and on ANYTHING that touched his mouth.
    I also applied lotrimin on my nipples before and after nursing... After using the vinegar wash
    I have a link I found very helpful but I'm on my phone so I'll link it soon

I think it's common for the yeast to resist nystatin

I had a case that lasted three months. You both need Diflucan. I would strongly advise you to take oral GSE and add probiotics. You must take the GSE away from the Diflucan and probiotics. The GSE is so strong it can take away the effectiveness of other meds/supplements. I also added a GSE wash to my breasts after each feeding. But you must apply it in a sterile way (I actually found a good way was to mix the GSE and with water and put it in a baby bottle. I would then just sort of spray myself with the bottle. )

I would also lay your bras/shirts in the sunlight to kill any yeast. And I also added GSE to the rinse water of all of my clothing. Do not wear the same clothing twice.

Is your baby putting his hands in his mouth? I had to put those baby gloves on my daughter, and keep them sterilized with GSE/sunlight/vinegar. Are you cleaning any toys that your baby puts in his mouth? I made a spray bottle with GSE and water that I sprayed everything with.

I think GSE is more effective than vinegar. Plus, you don't end up smelling like a pickle, so there's that too. Hang in there. HTH. I know it's not fun.

Read both of these: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov98p91.html

Please feel free to PM me with any questions. We had thrush three unfun times.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

hey, from what i can suggest, i think both of you should undergo treatment at the same time, esp diflucan for you. if you read my other thread, i have been battling with the same thing. and i know for sure that though i have zero symptoms of nipple thrush, it is me who is giving the thrush to my lo. so even though you may not have symptoms, you may still be carrying the fungus. on the other hand i totally admire your effort at sanitizing all the stuff. i may have to do that soon and it just seems so much to do. anything to get rid of that thrush though - wish there was one final solution once and for all.

Sounds like a good plan! I've gotten in touch with my doctor about also getting on Diflucan!