Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Problems

Unhappy Pumping Problems

I am exclusively breastfeeding a 6 month old girl. I returned to work when she was 6 weeks old and have been pumping 3 times a day with an Ameda Purely Yours dual electric. I get about 12 oz each day total. Recently the 3-4oz bottles I have been sending to daycare with her have not been keeping her satisfied. I use the advent bottles with a newborn nipple. I tried adding a teaspoon of rice to each bottle which seemed to work but she became constipated. So I stopped adding rice and started adding a ounce of water (she won't touch it if it has any formula, tried that too) but that too didn't help. I never had much of a freezer supply as I could only pump enough for the next day, but luckily my sister is bf a 4 month old and has so much excess milk she ran out of freezer space so she has been giving the extra to me now. The 5 oz bottles seem to be making her much happier during the day (I even feed her 1 tbs oatmeal in the mornings) but I would like to get my supply up to 15 oz/day so I don't have to rely on my sister's milk forever. I tried adding an extra pumping session at work and going every 2 1/2 hours but my nipples seem to have taken a pumping strike. I used to turn get the pump up to high but now my nipples get too sore and this afternoon I noticed some blood spots on my nipples and even a spot where the blood seemed to be coming out and I was only on Medium suction. Any advice?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: Pumping Problems

Ouch!

Are your nipples rubbing against the insides of the breast shields?

They get pulled down the tubes of the shields about 3/4 inch, but that happens with every pump I have used. Medela Symphany, lactina, PIS, Ameda hospital grade & purely yours as well as any hand pumps I have used.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

i also use the ameda purely yours and have occasional soreness. i deal with it by limiting my pumping to 3 times a day, well spaced(5 am, 11:30 am and3:30pm) and aiming for max output at each session. to boost your output at each session, try drinking a cup of warm tea and looking at your baby's pic. i also compress each breast for about a minute at a time. i usually get an extra ounce or two doing this.

also, if you can't send enough milk, try sending along extra cereal and fruit to tide your little one over until she can nurse again.

to ease the soreness, try using lanolin at night before bed. It is v. soothing

Good luck!

Have you tried Mother's milk tea? It may help to increase your milk supply.

Use the lanoline before you pump. Just a little it acts as a lubricant and it helps. Also how much water are you drinking? Try to get a big glass of water before you pump. Trust me this really helps and don't forget to relax. Close you eyes and think of your baby. Oh yea I almost forgot eat oatmeal too. Hope that helps.