Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixed oversupply symptoms?

Default Mixed oversupply symptoms?

Hi there! I had oversupply with my daughter for sure. Now with my son (8weeks), his poop is green but no other standard oversupply issues. No discomfort while nursing, no gulping, nothing else that is typical oversupply symptoms. Now, when I pump, I do get about 5-6oz in 8-10mins in the am after he feeds. I dont pump every day. In fact, im stopping for a while bc my milk is high in lipase so i wont be pumping until we need it due to us being full time wedding photographers so i am going to pump the week before we shoot a wedding just enough milk for that day bc of my storage issues. No clogs like I had with my daughter. My breasts aren't over full ever and he softens them well when he eats & usually nurses on both sides in 20-30mins.
    So is it oversupply? My diet hasn't changed this past week either. His poop just changed this past week.
    Thanks for any insight.

Default Re: Mixed oversupply symptoms?

You know, as long as the baby is happy and growing well, I wouldn't put much thought into poop color. Could be oversupply causing it, or could be normal variation - green is on the spectrum of normal. But, even if it is oversupply, if he's happy and comfortable and healthy, I wouldn't bother stressing myself out to change anything.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Could be a mild virus. Green poop is a common sign of that.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Baby is 100% happy like usual. Don't think it's a virus. Just have green poop w/no other symptoms. However, I was pumping about every other day until last week & I stopped so maybe that is why, since I'm not pumping like I was before.

Hi again everyone. My son's poop is still green. Yesterday & this morning there was a very small amount of blood in it. I am very confused b/c I know it's not a dairy issue b/c I barely eat any dairy. Also, my breasts are very soft when he is done nursing on both sides so I wouldn't think he'd be getting too much foremilk. He is starting to sleep longer at night... 8-9 hours so the 3-4am feeding that he is having, my breasts are pretty full as they are still adjusting to this new schedule. Could it be that it's that middle of the night feeding that is the cause of all this since my supply hasn't regulated to it yet? He nurses very well when he wakes up at 8am & softens my breasts throughly all day long. Im even switching sides after he's finished one side. I let him come off himself.
    Im just confused b/c he shows no other signs of oversupply, he goes 3 hrs between feedings during the day, he's not fussy while feeding, he sleeps wonderfully, he's never fussy. The only thing is the green poop & now that has a tiny bit of blood occasionally.

Barely any dairy isn't the same as no dairy. Some babies can't tolerate even tiny amounts of dairy, and there are small amounts hidden in a lot of foods. Even things you might not suspect, like baked goods and deli meats- they often contain whey powder. I'm not saying that your LO has a dairy intolerance, just that it's a possibility even when mom doesn't eat much of a suspect substance.

If baby is happy, healthy, and growing, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Lots of moms, including me, nurse through bloody stools and don't really stress over it, don't do any eliminations, and eventually the blood goes away as the baby's gut matures and becomes better able to handle whatever it is that's irritating him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PP
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!